Can Anybody Date and Identify?

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
I found all but three of these back in the 60's in the same general area between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, Alabama. Most were found in a very small area that was cleared for a lake. I also found a large amount of pottery shards in the same area.

I have moved back to the area where I found my arrowheads and have looked for others with no luck yet. Unfortunately the small area where I found most of my arrowheads has been under water since the late 60's.

(The ones that I didn't find are the second in the first row, the last in the second row and the last in the fourth row. These were a gift from my uncle who found them in central Florida.)

Attachments

• Arrowhead Frame.jpg
    Arrowhead Frame.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Arrowhead 2.jpg
    Arrowhead 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Arrowhead4.jpg
    Arrowhead4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Arrowhead 3.jpg
    Arrowhead 3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

I am a little west of you so this is just a stab in the dark on your points. The triangular shaped ones appear to be the type Yadkin....woodland to Mississippian..2500-500 bp. The stemmed points are more typical of the time period rather than type...most are early to middle archaic 6-4 bp....the bottom right might be an Abbey...or Alachua, one or two might be Duval...the broken one top left could be some type of Bolen, but could also be several others with similar bases. You have one piece of pottery with a hole in it.

A good reference for point typology is the Overstreet Indian arrowhead identification and price guide......do get too worked up over their prices...I find them to be grossly overpriced on many of their points, but the photos are great and an overall excellent reference for point type by location as it breaks up the country into zones.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions