What's new

Can anybody idenify this item

rfloyd5

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
46
Reaction score
59
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
New to the forums. Last night my son and I went out metal detecting and found our first item. We have no clue what it is. I included to pictures of front and back, and a penny to give an idea of the size of the item.

Thank you.


IMG_3137.webpIMG_3138.webp
 
Upvote 4
Welcome to the forum. Can't help with ID, but congrats on the find
 
The second pic, at the top, looks like it could be a mount of some kind, like hanging a picture, or something to a wall....like a bracket of some sort...dunno...
 
It is a cleat off the bottom of a mountain bike shoe. That cleat is bolted to the bottom of the shoe, right at the ball of the feet. The bike pedals have spring loaded locks that that cleat locks (or "clips") into. You twist your feet into them and they are literally then attached to the pedals. A twist of the heel back out is supposed to pop you feet back off the pedals. This is Shimano's style and there are several other brands with different styles out there. Probably came loose and fell off the shoe while the cyclist was riding or walking ( more likely) or fell out of their pocket. It is modern.

The first couple of times I used them, I ended up on the ground when I tried to dismount the bike!
 
That's what I love about this forum. You can take the strangest items found and put them on this forum and within no time somebody usually can identify the item. That's awesome "Jayers" to identify that so quickly. I always learn something new and pick out great tips from other folks.
 
Thank you very much. I do see mountain bikers out in this part of the woods all the time. It was a thrill to have found something. Can't wait for my next find.
 
It is a cleat off the bottom of a mountain bike shoe. That cleat is bolted to the bottom of the shoe, right at the ball of the feet. The bike pedals have spring loaded locks that that cleat locks (or "clips") into. You twist your feet into them and they are literally then attached to the pedals. A twist of the heel back out is supposed to pop you feet back off the pedals. This is Shimano's style and there are several other brands with different styles out there. Probably came loose and fell off the shoe while the cyclist was riding or walking ( more likely) or fell out of their pocket. It is modern.

The first couple of times I used them, I ended up on the ground when I tried to dismount the bike!

Beat me to it, I recognized it immediately. If you don't bike and use SPD pedals then you would never know what it was.
 
It is a cleat off the bottom of a mountain bike shoe. That cleat is bolted to the bottom of the shoe, right at the ball of the feet. The bike pedals have spring loaded locks that that cleat locks (or "clips") into. You twist your feet into them and they are literally then attached to the pedals. A twist of the heel back out is supposed to pop you feet back off the pedals. This is Shimano's style and there are several other brands with different styles out there. Probably came loose and fell off the shoe while the cyclist was riding or walking ( more likely) or fell out of their pocket. It is modern.

The first couple of times I used them, I ended up on the ground when I tried to dismount the bike!

Yup. That's what it is. Have 5 sets in my garage.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom