What's new

Can anyone guess how old this tree is? Need a tree expert....

perdidogringo

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
582
Reaction score
1,757
Golden Thread
0
Location
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to locate where an old log cabin was in the late 1800s and I came across the tree in the photos. Can anyone give an approximate age just based on the photos? Thanks in advance.
image1.webp
image2.webp
image0.webp
 
What kind of tree is (was) it? Oak? How big around is it? You can get a fair estimate of the age by the circumference and species. If that one is oak, then my wild guess based on how big it appears to be would be 60-80 years old. One thing is for sure -- it's a good bit older than the other trees in the photo.
 
I had a Tree Service for 20 years.
Looks like it could be a soft Maple Tree from here - when get old they tend to rot out and fall apart.
Would guess 100 - 125 yr. old range.

If you think the Cabin was close by you might want to try hunting the area with no Discrimination at all.
Running wide open will let you hear the low Iron hits (like rusty nails, etc.) - that's probably where the Cabin was.

Good Luck !
 
Thanks for the feedback, fellas! I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but it really stood out compared to the other newer trees in this area.
 
I had a Tree Service for 20 years.
Looks like it could be a soft Maple Tree from here - when get old they tend to rot out and fall apart.
Would guess 100 - 125 yr. old range.

If you think the Cabin was close by you might want to try hunting the area with no Discrimination at all.
Running wide open will let you hear the low Iron hits (like rusty nails, etc.) - that's probably where the Cabin was.

Good Luck !
Sugar or soft can be exactly that age range.
I have many that are big, hollow, and sheading their limbs.
 
Sometimes I find a cluster of bushes or clumps of tulip or daffodil greens and I know I´m on the spot where the house was. Good luck!!
 
Where (what state) are you located? First thought looking at bark was maple, but then post oak creeped into my mind. Definitely maples in the pic (to the right) but the back left looks like an oak. Regardless I agree with others…..that’s a much older tree than those around it (at least what I can tell from the picture). If I ran across that in the woods (near something I wanted to search) I would spend some time close by.
 
Where (what state) are you located? First thought looking at bark was maple, but then post oak creeped into my mind. Definitely maples in the pic (to the right) but the back left looks like an oak. Regardless I agree with others…..that’s a much older tree than those around it (at least what I can tell from the picture). If I ran across that in the woods (near something I wanted to search) I would spend some time close by.
I live in the suburbs of Chicago so we have both oak trees and maple trees here.
 
What kind of tree is (was) it? Oak? How big around is it? You can get a fair estimate of the age by the circumference and species. If that one is oak, then my wild guess based on how big it appears to be would be 60-80 years old. One thing is for sure -- it's a good bit older than the other trees in the photo.
I had a situation where a 6” diameter white oak tree was blazed and scribed 130 years earlier as a survey marker accessory. I found the tree and it was 8” in diameter with no visible scars. Dad cut it open and the scribing was there! Grew 2” in diameter in 130 years! Makes you wonder how old that tree was.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom