Can anyone help with a rock ID? Veined quartz?

mysteryrock

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I have been to several rock sites and still not found much of an ID on this. I took a lot of pictures on my google site so hopefully you can see what you need to. I found it in Sharon, CT (https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x89e780a656ff1be7:0xbf85ee7135bac160).

The area was full of volcanic activity apparently and I believe the veins are quartz. I am not sure of the minerals that have oxidized orange. Does anyone have an idea of how this was formed?

Thank you!

front2.JPG

https://plus.google.com/photos/1163...ms/6044884294802860897?authkey=CMOB6_CorbvPHA

Last edited:

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, It's the sister to my stone which was found in PA.. Nothing more then white quartz that was still in it's liquefied state and forced through seam, cracks and opening which are very similar to that of the playdough press..

003.JPG 002.JPG

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrothermal activities can layer out minerals much like how agate is formed. It depends on temperature and mineral content. The layering shows different minerals being deposited at different times. The orange materials are likely iron oxide minerals and are deposited between the sheets of the silicates.
Stonewhispers specimen is another example of this kind of disposition of minerals however in his specimen the iron oxide materials appear to have rotted out and washed away due to natural erosion.

Upvote 0

Nicko Mendo

May 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, It's the sister to my stone which was found in PA.. Nothing more then white quartz that was still in it's liquefied state and forced through seam, cracks and opening which are very similar to that of the playdough press..

View attachment 1036026 View attachment 1036027
I have several pounds of those rocks. what do you think they are worth? i have some pretty nice ones

Upvote 0

Nicko Mendo

May 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in Northern California by the way if that matters. Would appreciate some input as my wife is nagging me about getting them out our room already lol

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh, they are worth whatever someone wants to spend for them. You might try peddling them at a swap meet as decorative stones. Other than that you may try building a rock garden to move the stones outta the room ;)

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in Mendocino, Nick, chuck those out into the yard and get out there for the jade! Once found a gem quality piece of nephrite off ten mile creek in Laytonville when I stepped behind the bushes for a pee. When I saw what I was peeing on, I about fell over! I *did* go back to my car for the gloves before I dug it out.

I've found more rocks that way.....

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're in Mendocino, Nick, chuck those out into the yard and get out there for the jade! Once found a gem quality piece of nephrite off ten mile creek in Laytonville when I stepped behind the bushes for a pee. When I saw what I was peeing on, I about fell over! I *did* go back to my car for the gloves before I dug it out.

You too?!

Upvote 0

Nicko Mendo

May 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you! I'm not too far from laytonville, im in willits! I actually dug up some nice piece of rocks from my parents property that i have NO idea what they are. I'm still learning whats what and so, but im keeping every piece. I was told that some of the stuff i have is petrified wood, quartz, shamman stones, ,chalcedony and some fossils. I have NO experience whatsoever and just today i found some more huge black rocks with white quartz in the inside... My parents property is pretty huge ( 80 acres) and they were told by the previous owner that a lot of artifacts and geofacts were found here from a geologist that they allowed on the property for exploring. Since they told me that i ended up gearing up and bern on the hunt for stuff lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread