What's new

Can anyone help

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a mother who works at our school district and doesn't make alot of money. She is soon to be on her own as hubby
is leaving. The son has found a hobby that consumes most of his free days, he likes to collect pennies. His mother bought him a book and he has been off and running with it like nobody's business which is good for a child of his age. Between AAU baseball, football and homework it only leaves Saturday and Sunday to play with his collection. She was telling me that on Saturday and Sunday, the dining room table is his as he spreads his pennies out and looks at them over and over. I have put together several care packages for him this past week after I found out his situation. I stopped at the coin shoppe and spent a little money on some pennies that a child his age would be hard pressed to get. I also gave him a "Gold" plated half that I found CRH with the counter dates stamped in them. I explained to her about only touching the sides and never the obverse or reverse of the coin, where the mint marks could be found and about the Redbook. Told her to get him a box of pennies and let him look through them. I could tell there wasn't enough money in their coffers to even do that. I spent almost four hours last night assembling pennies, 61 - 1970 along with the corresponding nickels and dimes for each mint for that period. (I have quite a few of them).

Bottom line is, can anyone help out this child with some spare pennies they might have in their change or some old garbage that needs to get cleaned out of the vault. I don't want the kid to end up in a bad situation in school and she uses the coins as a reward for him doing well in school.

Shoot me a PM if you have something he might like and you really don't want. I don't expect silver or anything like that, just something that would hold a 13 year old's interest, particulary foreign coins if you have any. I will re-imburse any expense you incur shipping, just let me know how much and I will send it out. Plese PM me if you can help his young child out, his mother is a super person and I really want to help this kid in his new hobby and keep him on the right road.

To everyone, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Robert
 
Upvote 0
Too bad they don't want baseball cards, I've got about 250 lbs I'd send. :D

Really nice of you, though, and maybe gets a kid more involved in the hobby. I'll see what I can round up this weekend for him.
 
Thanka everyone for your PM's, I knew that this board was a family oriented place. The responses just prove it.
I am humbled by the kindness and generousity the members of this board have exhibited.

Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Robert
 
Ltrain said:
Too bad they don't want baseball cards, I've got about 250 lbs I'd send. :D

Really nice of you, though, and maybe gets a kid more involved in the hobby. I'll see what I can round up this weekend for him.

I second that, Ltrain. Late 1980's was a bad time to pour all a twelve-year-olds extra cash into baseball cards.
 
FreedomUIC said:
Thanka everyone for your PM's, I knew that this board was a family oriented place. The responses just prove it.
I am humbled by the kindness and generousity the members of this board have exhibited.

Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Robert
Robert, you should be commended for taking the time to care. Perhaps you have inspired some of us to do good, as well.
I'm kinda getting in the Christmas spirit a little early. lol

HH to all,
Legend
 
legend76 said:
Ltrain said:
Too bad they don't want baseball cards, I've got about 250 lbs I'd send. :D

Really nice of you, though, and maybe gets a kid more involved in the hobby. I'll see what I can round up this weekend for him.

I second that, Ltrain. Late 1980's was a bad time to pour all a twelve-year-olds extra cash into baseball cards.

Right there with you two. Thousands of cards sit in my garage from that time period. I really wish I would have been focused on coins rather than cardboard. Why a opportunity to peak a youngsters interest in coins is an awesome opportunity.
 
Again,
Thanks for all the PM's, I am sure this young man will have his hands full for quite some time. I asked his mother Friday if she had given him the gold plated half that I had found CRH. She said he was to busy looking at his coins and had done nothing
to earn a new "present".... :laughing7:

I am hoping he got his little treat this week-end.
 
mistergee said:
your a good man Robert. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I work for a school district and do care about he kids. This one is a good one and he really enjoys not only the coins
but which state they are coming from...It is almost like a minature vacation for him. :thumbsup:
 
Just got your PM and I sent you one back. Will send you some nice things for the youngster this week.
rileyboy
 
I'm a kid myself and it is pretty though trying to search boxes when your puting all your money toward just that and having to re-roll to get any more money to search. Its good to start young!
 
well we have something in common. i work for the school district also but i'm in maintenance and we don't have much interaction with the children.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom