🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Can anyone identify this rock?

Tom999w

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2024
Hi everyone, newbie here. I was walking through the woods along a creek in upstate New York and found this rock in the creek. I've never seen anything like it, so thought I'd show it here and see if anyone can figure out what it is. It's about 12" high. I'm thinking it may be a rock full of fossils, but I surely don't want to break it open because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to destroy it. I've also searched on the internet for a couple hours and didn't find anything that resembles this.

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
OP
OP
T

Tom999w

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2024
It doesn't seem like a typical bunch of fossils made from dead creatures. It seems more like living, moving things that were somehow stopped mid-motion and then fossilized.

Upvote 1

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
It’s probably a mudstone. Mudstones can be millions of years old. Petrified mud, I carried one home from our local river. If it is it will be chalky on the inside so don’t bother breaking it open. Water and erosion can do some crazy things to rocks. Put it in your bushes out front of your house and adore it for years to come.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
T

Tom999w

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2024
It’s probably a mudstone. Mudstones can be millions of years old. Petrified mud, I carried one home from our local river. If it is it will be chalky on the inside so don’t bother breaking it open. Water and erosion can do some crazy things to rocks. Put it in your bushes out front of your house and adore it for years to com

It’s probably a mudstone. Mudstones can be millions of years old. Petrified mud, I carried one home from our local river. If it is it will be chalky on the inside so don’t bother breaking it open. Water and erosion can do some crazy things to rocks. Put it in your bushes out front of your house and adore it for years to come.
So mudstone is a print in the mud that gets solidified into rock I'm assuming. I wonder what this stone is imprinted from (animal or plant) if it's a mudstone.

Upvote 1

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of a rock carving to me. May be part of a headstone, yard ornament etc.
I see carved leaves.
What does the other side look like?

Upvote 0

Sangre De Cristo

Nov 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, newbie here. I was walking through the woods along a creek in upstate New York and found this rock in the creek. I've never seen anything like it, so thought I'd show it here and see if anyone can figure out what it is. It's about 12" high. I'm thinking it may be a rock full of fossils, but I surely don't want to break it open because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to destroy it. I've also searched on the internet for a couple hours and didn't find anything that resembles this.
Here is a possible clue.
Here is a possible clue?

Attachments

• IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tom999w

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2024
That's an interesting magazine story. Maybe it was carved, but it sure looks organic and naturally made to me.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread