What's new

Can anyone see anything on this toasted copper?

unfound

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2014
Messages
422
Reaction score
317
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Pa
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug at a site that dates to the 1840's. Six inches down. Size of a nickel. It's worn and toasted.
I've dug LC's in the past but this seems to be a S (small)C..

I did the warm peroxide thing and have it soaking in mineral oil.
will see if anything comes out. Heck it might be something non coin like for all I know right now.

Was just curious if anyone could see something that I can't.
 

Attachments

  • 20150512_174849.webp
    20150512_174849.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 20150512_175046.webp
    20150512_175046.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 8
Phew, that is brutally worn. I tend to think it's not a copper. An LC or Half cent wouldn't loose that much diameter nor thickness IMHO. I've found badly corroded KG's and they held on to their diameter as well. Maybe a badly corroded 2 cent piece? I personally don't think it was a coin. Either way good luck figuring it out.
 
Almost looks like a bust facing right? I've seen plenty of coppers that thin - usually they're early or just worn flat.
 
Almost looks like a bust facing right? I've seen plenty of coppers that thin - usually they're early or just worn flat.

I see the same thing, and on the edge between where the nose and the chin is there looks like letters.

Anything on the other side, picture?
 
The reason I put it on here is because I keep seeing a right faced bust with some lettering and wanted to see if others saw it. It might just be a copper whatsit, but I wasnt sure. Under the loupe I can kinda sorta almost see stuff but it might just be wishful thinking.

I appreciate everyone looking and any input. I was personally leaning toward non coin, but I see things on it that make me question it.
 
Last edited:
back looks similar to front.. I'll post a pic later.
 
I see a right facing bust...
 
What ever it is congrats! Saved just in time!
 
My guess would be a William 111 half penny.. Notorious for being thin. :thumbsup:

SS
 
There's a right facing bust there...without a doubt. Not a halfpenny though. If anything its farthing sized.
 
When I first saw it and you mentioned it was the size of a nickel, I immediately thought flat button.... but after looking more closely I can also see the bust. Hope someone can help you ID it. Whatever it is, its not common to Western PA.
 
I looked again despite dismissing it before. I looked for the right facing head and mayyyy see two heads facing right. William and Mary farthing? I've found a few old tin farthings worn the same way yours may have worn. Anyway, I'm on board after a second look!
 
I superimposed a w&m over yours. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431785009.246411.webp

And the regular image ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431785024.300206.webp
 
Cool !!!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm calling it a farthing.

My oldest coin so far. It was 1863 prior to this.
 
I see what looks like writing toward the bottom of the first picture. Looks like there is a letter "M" and other letters.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom