CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS MARK...

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008

Attachments

• copyantiquesforsale002.jpg
    copyantiquesforsale002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,079
show the item might be able to tell you about it some what to assist by looking at it. --with the crackling ( the lines apperaring in the finish) it seems to be an older piece .

Chenghua Nian Zhi meaning: "Chenghua Period Made". Crackled glaze with enameled decoration. Date: Probably 1960's.

Comparison picture below.

marks.JPG

There are many others VERY closely resembling this mark and all are mid 20th century made.

so it was later made piece with a antique looking "crackled" style finish. like a real honest old "antique" piece would have.

what would the value be on this piece? Its 8" tall. Also Where did you find tht mark? I have many asian items but am clueless!!!

Attachments

• copyantiquesforsale009.jpg
    copyantiquesforsale009.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 411
clearly its a modern piece ( 1960's piece) made from the get go to "look" old -- with the crackling I thought it might be old --but the markings provided by montana jim shows it not -- you'll have to ask him about his "marking"source. --- nice ID by the way jim.

tattooedmomma said:
what would the value be on this piece? Its 8" tall. Also Where did you find tht mark? I have many asian items but am clueless!!!

Well... I googled something like "Oriental Pottery Marks" or something, picked a site, and scrolled through a zillion different marks till I found the right one. The persistence finally paid off. This is one of many sites available on line: http://gotheborg.com/marks/index_jap_marks.htm

If you want it's "value" you should start by searching for "Chenghua Nian Zhi Pottery" or something like that. EBay will get you a reasonable if not inflated ball park value.

ivan salis said:
clearly its a modern piece ( 1960's piece) made from the get go to "look" old -- with the crackling I thought it might be old --but the markings provided by montana jim shows it not -- you'll have to ask him about his "marking"source. --- nice ID by the way jim.

Thanks Ivan!

Yea... the crackle finish is purposeful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back