Can anyone tell me approximately how old this knife is?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is an old knife that I have had for years. I don't know much about it other than I was told it was an old knife in the 1940's from the person I got it from. There are absolutely no markings on it anywhere. Just curious. As you can see from the pics, it has seen its share of use.

Thanks,
Doug

knife1001.jpg

knife1002.jpg

knife1003.jpg

knife1004.jpg

My best guess is anywhere from about the 1860's up until maybe 1920's-1930's.
Hope this helps.

Scott

PS. Is there any writing or markings on the blade close to the handle one one side, the other side or both?

Upvote 0
That sounds like that age range that I was thinking. From what I know of the person that I got it from, who was a friend of my grandmother, I was figuring 1880-1910 or so. I know from studying family history though and listening to family stories, things aren't always as old as someone thinks they are.

Thanks for the info.

Doug

Upvote 0
a friend had one, same looking blade and all. i was told it was the person's mother leaning me to believe it early nineteen hundreds like 1920 ish. but that is just memory and third hand at that.
i can't imagine the years of use to make the blade look that way. the blade was rather thin (is this one?) and "made a particularly good tomato slicing knife", the lady told me, "that she wouldn't use anything else". i think it was the slight imperfections in the blade edge.
but anyway i saw it when wood pretty good shape. then years later the wood was ruined-dry, gray, cracked, loose but squeaky clean. find out they began putting it in the dishwasher daily i figure. the dish washer did damage quick and artificially aged or in my eyes ruined wood. yours still has the natural wood look. keep it away from the dish washer machine. note i said 'machine'!

Upvote 0
Man,I had and used one just like it for years,when I trapped,I hope it wasnt valuable??

Upvote 0
most likely a turn of the century model -- three thru the blade stainless steel rivets to hold the handle on -- the type of metal used in the rivets are a tip off in the old days brass was used --as it because less costly to produce stainless steel it was more widely used. -- however for the blade it self high carbon steel was used since it held a razor sharp edge -- however it not properly washed off and then oiled after cutting acidic type foods they would rust -- properly cared for high carbon blades have a dull gray color to them and are easy to sharpen and hold a razor edge .

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back