What's new

Can anyone tell me what exactly this is?

Marguerite

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for information on this item....what is it, how old is it, how much would it be worth... Any information would be greatly appreciated...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    276 KB · Views: 142
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    254.4 KB · Views: 145
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    291.1 KB · Views: 137
All i can find is that Alexander Wright started business in 1896 and made electronic measuring equipment, and something called a flicker photometer --the company was in business 119 yrs, now closed up. :icon_thumleft:
 
It looks like the needle is actuated by the brass bellows? Measuring atmospheric pressure?

I don't see any wires or whatever, to be electrical? Any wires or hook ups on the back?



Interesting to me, because I dug some rotted thin brass bellows about that diameter in a field that has dozens of items from early/mid 1700s to around 1840....but the bellows seemed "out of place" in this field. But mine are so rotted away, I think they must be quite old, if other brass things I find are not eaten up as badly.
 
Agree with CTwoods about the bellows. The instrument also appears to be broken as I assume the needle should be on zero.
The problem with atmospheric measurements is the numbers are wrong. For instance barometric pressure is in inches Hg.
You could go to Ebay as they sell a lot of old vintage instruments.
?? What's the brass plate say?
 
The brass plate just says 'alex Wright and co ltd. Westminster'
 
Does it have a hole in the bottom or out the back where a hose or fitting may have been attached to the bellows? I'm looking online and they made different instruments. Pressure and gas related to do experiments with, I guess. That was from a quick search, I didn't dig real deep.:laughing7:
 
Yes there is a hose pipe coming out of the bottom!
 
CT woods has the bellows right. I think it is used to measure something and the bellows is used to compensate for atmosphere variations only. It could even be used as some sort of scale indicator. It's like a meter, doesn't do anything until you hook it up to something. Jest my guess, Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom