SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Top says Winchester sides say No. 12 bottom says NUBLAC. Is it possible to date this?

image-2428463973.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1903 -1938

Upvote 0

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It actually says NUBLACK. It was a black powder line of shells and was usually advertised with Winchester's other line of black powder shells, the New Rival.

Nice Find!
Doug

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtlefoot is the Headstamp guru...my go-to,but I had Nublack's era's stuck in my head...I should have pointed out that you left off a k :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turtlefoot is the Headstamp guru...my go-to,but I had Nublack's era's stuck in my head...I should have pointed out that you left off a k :icon_thumright:

So the years are right?

Upvote 0

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, Kuger is dead on. Some sources list 1905 as the starting date. Some Nublack heads have "Made in USA" on them too. Most, but not all, Winchester heads that have "Made in USA" on them will date after 1927/1933. Without the entire shell, the date range that he gave you will be the tightest possible to get. The teens and very early 20's is when this line was advertised the heaviest.

It is a great find and is a classic Winchester line of shells.
Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Kuger is dead on. Some sources list 1905 as the starting date. Some Nublack heads have "Made in USA" on them too. Most, but not all, Winchester heads that have "Made in USA" on them will date after 1927/1933. Without the entire shell, the date range that he gave you will be the tightest possible to get. The teens and very early 20's is when this line was advertised the heaviest.

It is a great find and is a classic Winchester line of shells.
Doug

Thanks I've found many brass there. One was a Winchester with a star like design around the center. Sadly I lost it on the way back. Any idea on how old that was?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the star one was a Remington

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never mind I can't exactly recall. I believe it had UMC on the star one. Thanks for the help I have another one ill put up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just looked at another its in bad shape but the word rival is on the bottom can y'all date that?

Upvote 0

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you sure it was a Winchester and not a UMC or REM-UMC? If it was a Winchester, it is exceedingly rare! The only Winchester that I have ever seen with a star is a New Rival with a 16 point star. UMC and REM-UMC both had 8 point stars, and most are not too rare. Anyway, both will date from the turn of the century to the 1930's. Depending on the line of shells, it might date a few years earlier or later.

If you ever re-find the head and it is a Winchester with a star, PLEASE either post it or PM me with a pic. I wold LOVE to see it.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure it was a Winchester and not a UMC or REM-UMC? If it was a Winchester, it is exceedingly rare! The only Winchester that I have ever seen with a star is a New Rival with a 16 point star. UMC and REM-UMC both had 8 point stars, and most are not too rare. Anyway, both will date from the turn of the century to the 1930's. Depending on the line of shells, it might date a few years earlier or later.

If you ever re-find the head and it is a Winchester with a star, PLEASE either post it or PM me with a pic. I wold LOVE to see it.

Doug

Ok will do. I put it on the side of my truck and drove off forgetting about it. It could be anywhere! Oh well we will never know :(

Upvote 0

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a Winchester Rival. The headstamp reads WRA Co RIVAL. It will date from 1884-1897. This, along with the "STAR" (doesn't have a star on it, but that is the name), were the first two named lines of shells that Winchester sold. The Rival is the line that started things for Winchester in the shotshell world.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a Winchester Rival. The headstamp reads WRA Co RIVAL. It will date from 1884-1897. This, along with the "STAR" (doesn't have a star on it, but that is the name), were the first two named lines of shells that Winchester sold. The Rival is the line that started things for Winchester in the shotshell world.

Doug

Awesome,!

Upvote 0

MTHershey

May 2, 2013
I just found a couple. Any help on dates? One is the U.M.C. and the other is a Peters Quick Shot.

Attachments

• image-1991877022.jpg
    image-1991877022.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-452096695.jpg
    image-452096695.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3465328826.jpg
    image-3465328826.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not trying to hijack your thread here.

Here is some info on your two shotshell heads MTHershey.

UMC New Club (with star around the primer) - 1892-1910 - closer to the 1910 side of the date range. It was a black powder shell.
Peters Quick Shot (with chain design around the primer) - 1889/92-1902 - This is a rare headstamp that is rarely found. It is one of the very earliest lines of shells that had the name Peters spelled out, instead of having P.C.C. or P.C.Co. It is truly an amazing find! The reason for the two beginning dates is there is some conflicting information when this line of shells actually started being sold. I personally feel the 1889 date is right, but cannot prove it yet.

Doug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not trying to hijack your thread here.

Here is some info on your two shotshell heads MTHershey.

UMC New Club (with star around the primer) - 1892-1910 - closer to the 1910 side of the date range. It was a black powder shell.
Peters Quick Shot (with chain design around the primer) - 1889/92-1902 - This is a rare headstamp that is rarely found. It is one of the very earliest lines of shells that had the name Peters spelled out, instead of having P.C.C. or P.C.Co. It is truly an amazing find! The reason for the two beginning dates is there is some conflicting information when this line of shells actually started being sold. I personally feel the 1889 date is right, but cannot prove it yet.

Doug

Wow great find hershey

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions