Can Some Coins Be Too Corroded To Be Cleaned?

airbear77

Greenie
May 12, 2005
South Carolina
Absolutely, alot of copper coins tend to get very corroded in the ground. Most of the time when people find coins in farm fields, the fertilizers and pesticides that they spray will eat the coins to pieces. Also, alot of the time you may see slight detail on the coin when you dig it and when you clean it you actually clean off the patina which may actually be the only detail left on the coin. Copper coins are pretty tricky to clean. Have you tried soaking in olive oil? Alot of people have success with that method. I actually used the hot peroxide method on the last half cent I found recently with great results. Oh, what type of coins are they? . Good luck........Aaron

OP
OP
twister

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are copper coins. How do you do the hot peroxide cleaning I would like to try that.

HH

Twister

airbear77

Greenie
May 12, 2005
South Carolina
I use one of those glass pyrex custard cups that use to come in washing powder, but any cup or bowl would work. put a little peroxide in it and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until its hot. put a toothpick or something under the coin as you lay the coin in there so it can get under the coin also. It should bubble pretty good. just check it often and you will see the junk start to fall off. You may want to heat up the peroxide agin if it cools off. Also, after it is soaking in there for awhile, use a toothpick to pick away any tuff spots. Let us know how they turn out and post a pick of them if you can. Good luck to you!.......Aaron

OP
OP
twister

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the before. I'm going to try the peroxide now then i will repost what they come out.
Thanks

HH

Twister

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 569

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Twister, I have used the hot peroxide and olive oil and have had some good luck with most all items.But for tho's real corroded items ,after the above cleaning i have taken someone ealse's advice and used a pencil and paper to transfer the coin or token (?) and pulled out alot of detail.Not so much to ID the item but sometimes after searching coins and tokens i come up with an ID.

Along the lines of the peroxide cleaning I have bought the cleaning tablits for smokers false teeth cleaners and with hot water it has done a good job,It helps to boil out the dirt and what ever.

HH & H-Cleaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread