Can someone explain the Tides for Panama City Beach

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I mostly Beach Detect east coast of Florida, Im going to Panama city Florida next weekend and was looking at the tide schedule.

Some days the tide is 12 hours or more, and then other times it varies between low and high tide, Im wanting to beach detect this coming saturday and sunday and im a little confused about the low tide.

On the east coast i have the tides down with no problem, but looking at the way they change on the florida panhandle has me scratching my head ??? ??? ???

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Magic Seaweed link I made for Panama City

You can change it in the upper left cornor to any ocean and beach just about anywhere in world. It is by far the best I have found so far. It gives you tides, swell height, direction and duration, wind speed and direction and the temperature and forcast a week in advance. You can actually see when is the best time to hunt based on tides and beach errosion due to surf conditions if you want to get in the water.

http://magicseaweed.com/Navarre-Beach-Surf-Report/651/

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tides a a local phenomenon, and vary depending on location. A classic east coast tide is a 12 hour, 25 minute cycle, but some areas of the country/world experience one tidal cycle a day, and some one full cycle and a half cycle.

find a local chart that shows the cycles graphically. I'll do a little research too. Just don't assume what works on one coast is true everywhere.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OK..LA (Lower Alabama) has ONE tidal cycle per day..approx 24 hours, 50 minutes each, as opposed to TWO on the east coast. If it's high at noon, it'll be low at midnite (ish), and high again close to 1pm the next day. Not much tidal range..only a foot or two.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived there, I don't remember a low tide in the daytime. All low tides seemed to be at night and they really weren't much to get excited over. I hunted in the water during the daytime. Lots of nice sandy beaches there for night hunting. That is the only time I hunt the sand in the Panhandle area. Never had any issues there.

Beware the Bull Sharks! Just kidding. Lots of hype there about them and they are plentiful there but if you watch yourself and don't take risks like getting in the water from dusk till dawn, you should be o.k. Rent a helicopter ride down the coast one day and take a look at what is just the other side of the sand bars. That will raise and eyebrow. I have never had any issues there though.

DaChief

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• PCB outside.jpg
    PCB outside.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 468
  • PCP Fl.jpg
    PCP Fl.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 484

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread