Can Someone Help With This Little Nugget ?

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100
I found this hunting around an old farm house with my metal detector. Not to far away, I was told that there was an old army base in the 1800s. I have reed that some of the old cannonballs were hollow and stuffed with gun powder and shrapnel. I'm not sure what this is, but it appears to be made of brass and it is heavy. It measures 2 and 1 half inches from center to center. I am open to any suggestion.

Attachments

• cannonball 001.jpg
    cannonball 001.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 647
  • cannonball 003.jpg
    cannonball 003.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 638
  • cannonball 007.jpg
    cannonball 007.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 635
  • cannonball 008.jpg
    cannonball 008.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 629

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a lot like one of the earliest grenades....here is a civil war one that looks the most like yours....you should do a lot more research, because it could be worth $

Excellent find

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0
OP
OP
checkmate

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100
It may be, It has a small round ring next to the big hole on each side. I tried to capture that in the picture but it is hard. When you look inside the ball, you can see the casting of the ring overlaping the inside of the ball like a plug or somthing.

Attachments

• cannonball1 010.jpg
    cannonball1 010.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 584
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it is the grenade because of the proximity to the base...maybe a practice one?

HH
-GC

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a wild shot. Old steam engines had something called a "Gibbs Governor" to regulate the speed. Two counterweights that would lift the faster they spun, but the lifting would regulate a valve that closed off the pressure to the piston.

This one is a early version. The later ones used round brass balls on the ends of the rods.

150px-Gibbs-governor.jpg

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
How thick is the brass? If it is part of an old brass bed, the metal would be pretty thin. If it is thick and hefty, it is probably something else.

Since it has holes of the same size that line up so a rod/shaft can go through, my money is on part of a brass bed.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
checkmate

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100
It is a quarter inch think and weighs 1 pound. I thought the bed ball sounded good to but because of the round circles on each side it would not look very nice on a bed. It also has some hefty dents on it that range from a quarter inch to to 3 eights diameter. You can see a couple of the dents on the left side of this pic.

Attachments

• cannonball1 016.jpg
    cannonball1 016.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
Either I gotta quit drinking or you gotta get another camera.

Daryl
Don't worry Daryl, I've seen it sober and it looks the same ;D

checkmate said:
It may be, It has a small round ring next to the big hole on each side. I tried to capture that in the picture but it is hard. When you look inside the ball, you can see the casting of the ring overlaping the inside of the ball like a plug or somthing.

According to checkmate, the small caps next to the large holes are crimped within the inside of the ball. More like a burst-disk than a plug - so far, I'm going with goldencoin's early practice grenade.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0

GrantWA

Feb 27, 2005
I have no clue to the age of this thing, but in Vietnam we had Mini-Frags which meet almost all of your description.

Mini fragmentation grenades

;D

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GrantWA said:
I have no clue to the age of this thing, but in Vietnam we had Mini-Frags which meet almost all of your description.

Mini fragmentation grenades

;D

Nah. Think about the material. They make cartridge cases out of brass because it is malleable and expands rather than shatters. Also costs six times as much as cast iron to produce. If it was a grenade or practice grenade it would be cast iron. As they have been since the Civil War to present.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions