239.2 KB · Views: 497
  • ChineseCoinRev.jpg
    ChineseCoinRev.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
This is a sort of Chinese good luck token— often called a charm, amulet, or talisman. The characters appear to read Ch'ien-lung T'ung-pao— "circulating coin [or 'current treasure'] of Emperor Ch'ien-lung." Genuine Chinese cash coins of that period date c. 1735-96. However, your find differs from them in that the hole is triangular rather than square; also, it is struck rather than cast as the 18th century coins were. The symbols on the reverse are evidently occult/amuletic.

By the way, there are some collectors who believe this piece is a souvenir item from the Golden Gate International Exposition (world's fair) held in San Francisco in 1939-40, but I have no idea whether that's the case.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Surf PI Pro
Thanks PBK, that is great info. Other coins found in the same ground (a church yard in Southern Calif.) date mid 20s and newer, so maybe it is from the '39 World's fair in SF as you suggested it might be.

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
Yep montana jim thats it. I had found one years ago and had it id here last month. These forums are nothing but information thats for sure :thumbsup: ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
sodiumrye said:
Yep montana jim thats it. I had found one years ago and had it id here last month. These forums are nothing but information thats for sure :thumbsup: ;D

Yes... I knew there was another recently but thats the only one I found... LOL

You guys can start a club!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread