✅ SOLVED Can someone identify these three little coins?

Riaoss

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are these three extremely small coins that I need help identifying. They look pretty old and fragile. My mother wants to know from what era they are. She's guessing they might be Roman coins
One of them has a face on the front and what seems to be three knights on the back. Not sure though
Front 20201009_123255.jpg
Back 20201009_123143.jpg
The other two are not quite as decipherable, but they seem to be from the same period of time.
Here's all three together 20201009_123101.jpg
Can anyone tell what are they?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.

Two of them are too far gone to tell, but the better-preserved one looks to be a Roman “three emperors” coin and my Guess is it's Theodosius II.

These coins were issued in the early 5th Century with the bust of either Arcadius, Honorius, or Theodosius II on the obverse, coupled with the three Emperors as standing figures on the reverse. Honorius is habitually at the right, looking towards his co-emperors at the left, facing him. Theodosius II is invariably the figure in the middle and depicted as shorter than the other two since he was a child when first proclaimed Emperor. The height difference is not always obvious in later issues or those that bear his own portrait on the obverse.

Some typical examples:

Three Emperors.jpg

One other thing to note is that obverses for these coins always have a star behind the bust (the significance of which is not fully understood) and I fancy that’s what I can see on yours. These coins were stuck on small flans with difficult to read legends, but that may be ‘AVG’ (for Augustus) on yours.

Obverse.jpg

After the death of Theodosius I in AD 395 his teenaged sons Arcadius and Honorius inherited the eastern and western parts of the empire respectively, effectively partitioning the Roman Empire into two halves for the next 80 years. Honorius reigned until AD 423 and Arcadius until AD 408, but the latter had proclaimed his one-year old son Theodosius II as joint Augustus in AD 402 and Theodosius then became sole Emperor in the east from AD 408 when his father died, reigning until AD 450.

Given their youth at the time they took power, all three were largely ‘puppet’ Emperors, with the real power wielded behind the scenes by ministers and advisors. Honorius never really ruled at all and there is some evidence that he was ‘feeble-minded’, with the advisor Stilichio making all the decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Riaoss,
Welcome to treasurenet !!
The mint mark would appear under the three emperors.
If that image is slightly out of focus, the mint location might be legible if another (more in focus) pic could be displayed.
Don......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread