What's new

Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

saftgeek

Full Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
111
Reaction score
355
Golden Thread
1
Location
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Hello all,

I have been trying to work on our property, cutting brush, trimming trees, etc... Yesterday, I ran out of gas and decided to go for a walk and see what I could see. As I topped the ridge, I saw an antler laying there... cool, my first shed. As I walked towards it, I noticed the other side laying about 5' away. Really cool. I went home and looked at some deer camera pictures and actually found this old boy at my feeder in December.

Now move ahead to tonight. I have been trying to find something decent at this old 2-story log cabin for a year now. The original roof was nailed on with small square nails and the ground is littered with them. You cannot swing anywhere without finding old rusty steel nails. I decided to move out far enough to not deal with the nails and was suprised to start finding some interesting targets. This place was used during the Civil War. I found a button and my nephew found a bullet. I think I may have found something else, but I can't figure it out. It is flat, about the size of a nickel, very heavy and it looks like there was an indent in the middle of one side. I don't have a clue. I'd hate to destroy something trying to figure out what it is, so I'm hoping someone with a little knowledge of lead items could help me.

Also, were bridle pieces made of copper and can anyone identify this band. It says MO US APPR... Again, I have no clue. I looked on the web, but no dice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Saftgeek
 

Attachments

  • 2011 shed from bluff.5.webp
    2011 shed from bluff.5.webp
    193.8 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_0213.5.webp
    IMG_0213.5.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • photo.5.webp
    photo.5.webp
    150 KB · Views: 1,000
  • photo2.5.webp
    photo2.5.webp
    161.6 KB · Views: 997
  • photo5.5.webp
    photo5.5.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 989
Upvote 0
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

I don't know, but those are some big pics.


The rack off that Buck looks heavy too. Nice
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Nice sheds. Looks like a nice 150ish class.
Looks like a muzzy moment just waiting to happen.
Good luck
Flip Flop
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Not sure, but come bow season i'd be back there waiting for those deer to come back.
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Are the two spots on the top of the nickel size item holes?
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Sorry I can't help you with your lead item....but those are some very nice sheads. I have probably only found one shed in my 55 plus years and it didn't look near that good. Good luck in your search for an answer to the mystery item.

HH
Gregd
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

The lead item is a cargo or electrical box seal. In the old days cargo crates were closed and sealed with a wire passing through the two small holes drilled across the disc. The wire loop went through a hasp or some other piece of hardware so you couldn't open the container or box car without breaking the wire.

You slipped two ends of the wire through the little holes and then had a sealer that looks like a pair of pliers to mash the lead tight on the wires. Only way to get it off was to cut the wire or destroy the lead seal.

A lot of times the sealing tool had letters and numbers in the faces that you mashed the lead flat with. That would leave the mark of who sealed the cargo on it.

I have attached a photo of a lead seal from the Richmond and Danville RailRoad. You can see the R&D RR on one side and the RR station master's initials on the other side. This one was found by my hunting partner, "Buck". Found at what we think is a Confederate camp in the area. The Richmond and Danville was the main Confederate cargo moving RR along the East Coast near the end of the war.
 

Attachments

  • Jim\'s-Lead-Seal-1.webp
    Jim\'s-Lead-Seal-1.webp
    88.9 KB · Views: 735
  • Jim\'s-Finds-2.webp
    Jim\'s-Finds-2.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 753
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

It looks to be a bag seal with the wires rusted off . It starts out as a length of wire with both ends cast into the lead disc which forms a loop . The loop is put around a bag end and the lead disc acts as a thumb screw when you twist it right or left to close the loop and seal the bag . Or it could be a mysterious lead disc with two brown spots on the edge .
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Sheds are big . I'd like to add him to my collection next year . Good news for you , I'm pretty sure that's not either one of the deer on the trail cam pic .
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

2country said:
Sheds are big . I'd like to add him to my collection next year . Good news for you , I'm pretty sure that's not either one of the deer on the trail cam pic .

:icon_scratch:Yea,I am not seeing that buck in the cam pic either?
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

It is a Missouri real estate appraiser marker that was used to mark out the area of concern .
You may find a few more of these also and they sometimes have real think wire on the piece with another marker.
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Wanna sell those old square nails?

I need some for a restoration project.
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

I think your last picture is of a bird leg band, I heard you can look them up somewhere? Cool finds, but no idea on the whatzit. Niffler
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

flip flop said:
Nice sheds. Looks like a nice 150ish class.
Looks like a muzzy moment just waiting to happen.
Good luck
Flip Flop
Yeah Buddy :thumbsup: Seal is Nice :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

I found these while detecting the outskirts of Raleigh last winter. Big for a city deer!
 

Attachments

  • rack.webp
    rack.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 408
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

Alright!!! I knew somebody out there would know what the lead item was. Now that I've seen the pictures I can tell you the edge on the top of the picture has some rust where the wires would have been. I'm definately going back to do some more digging there. As for selling some square nails... I'm afraid 75 years in the ground leaves them a little brittle. There is no way they could be used for anything structural.

The sheds are definately the deer in the picture. I should have posted a better one but I was showing off by having two decent deer in the same frame. Try this picture out. You can tell it's the same deer by the two small irregular points on the deers left antler.

Thanks again for all the help. T-netters are awesome!
Saftgeek
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0433.webp
    IMG_0433.webp
    129.6 KB · Views: 363
Re: Can someone "shed" some light on this find...

:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom