What's new

Can you count to 50 Indian Heads? How about 54?

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Well all, I hope you enjoy my exploits of the last week. Let me start at last Thursday. I was leaving Thursday evening with my family to head up to Vermont and visit my grandfather for his 90th birthday. So I was going to bring some boxes of coin to keep me occupied in the car ride there and back. I grabbed a box of nickels, a box of dimes and 2 boxes of pennies. One of the boxes of pennies was an emptied box that had been filled back up with some machine rolls and some handrolls. Since I know the folks at my bank so well I asked what was up. Apparently a church had a penny drive and had brought in a little over $200 in rolled pennies, some of them being still machine wrapped, some handwraps. Cool. I didn't have much room more in the car for more coins so you take what you can get, right?

Well, on the ride up (my dad was driving) I did the box of nickels and landed a bunch of pre60 Jeffs, a 1920 Buffalo and 2 war nicks (43P & 44P). Also got this foreign coin that I'm not sure of. Anyone recognize it? Good nickel box overall though. Also my brother who was working all summer in Minnesota brought all his coins for me to give him foldin money for and tells me there is a Buffalo that he got in change. It's a 1925. So I'm up already. That's all I can do on the ride up since it's dark now.
picture515.jpg



Next day I do the box of dimes and nab a 62D.

So then I'm starting on the handrolls of the pennies. The first box had 13 rolls of brand new 2008s so I didn't bother with them. So I had 37 rolls in the first box. Mid way through I see a normal looking roll. Observe:
picture517.jpg

I opened one end and the pennies wouldn't slip out easily, it felt as if they were all dirty or corroded and the edges were catching on the roll paper. Well....I shook them out and the first thing I though was that they were quite dirty. Then I notice the reverse of an IHC in the middle...then another...then it's coming to me...yes...AN ENTIRE ROLL OF INDIAN HEAD CENTS!

picture518.jpg

Problem is they appear to be mostly dug or otherwise damaged coins. Most have dates though. Then I count them and there are 55 coins. Later I realized one is actually a period token made from what I believe to be planchet of a copper nickel IHC from 1859-1864. It bears no date and the reverse reads ONE CUNT rather than ONE CENT. The oldest coin is an 1863 Copper nickel and the newest is a 1908.

picture519.jpg


picture520.jpg


picture520a.jpg


Three of the coins appear to be in decent shape, the 1903 in the middle is the best in the roll and has a nice full LIBERTY (hard to see in the pic though). Probably grades a solid Fine.
picture522.jpg


Here is a breakdown of the dates:

1863
1864 bronze No L visible
1880
1882
1886
1887x3
1888
1889
1890x2
1891
1895x6
1896x2
1897x2
1898
1899x2
1900x2
1901x8
1902x2
1903
1904x2
1905x2
1906x3
1907x3
1908

18x8
18xx
187x (this one's actually so worn the last digit is unreadable, rather than corroded away)
1xxx

And the undated copper nickel token

Now that I'm pretty well off in the IHC department...I settle down and finish that first box. A couple rolls later I pulled a 1903 IHC from a machine roll! Again it appears to have been dug at some point. Simply incredible...I hadn't found a single IHC in all of 2007 and had found 3 total since 1998 from rolls, none with a readable date. Then a couple rolls later I found the very tough 1960 Philadelphia small date! This was the first one I had ever found.
picture523.jpg

picture523a.jpg


Since I was away until Monday night, I didn't have a chance to post this until now as I had a lot of work to catch up on. I finally finished it up and tried to grab some more of those pennies from the church's deposit. I nabbed as many of the hand rolls but no more IHC rolls. However, I looked through a box worth again, half hand rolls half machin rolls. I found yet ANOTHER IHC, this time an 1899 (not dug, thankfully)! Then, later through the rolls, in a machine roll, pulled a 1922D. I still can't believe my luck. That was one of the few Wheats I was waiting on to find for my set. The only other older wheat was the 1919S pictured which is an upgrade for me for my circulation set. Also my box of halves today was dated 1/29/07 and yielded 16 40%ers. No idea where that'd been sitting for 19 months. I'm still pretty pumped about all my finds!

picture516.jpg
 
Upvote 0
DrDetector said:
Well all, I hope you enjoy my exploits of the last week.

I did!! Congrats DD.....great story. Simply incredible.
 
your unidentified foriegn coin is from thailand. siegfried schlagrule
 
Amazing!!!
Great score-
That 22-D is nice, too!

Congrats Doc!!! :occasion14:
 
sweet finds!

HH
-GC
 
Hello all - I've been lurking for a while, just got into the CRH thing a couple months ago. Been doing mostly pennies and occasional halves. Nice to see the IH great find! Never found one of those in a roll but I did find a collection of IHs at our town dump in a box of old books! Got about 50 that day all stuck in a 1938 Whittman holder, that got me interested in coins again after many years. And I'm hooked again! Strangely I got a steel penny on the first roll I ever searched...then never seen another. Done about 20 boxes of halves and found a few but seem to have better luck asking the tellers for hand rolls.
 
Amazing find! Congrats. :icon_thumright:
 
Why dig up a topic from August 2008? Let the Indians rest in peace already.
 
Excellent finds for sure...nice haul.

Excellent finds for sure...nice haul.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom