What's new

✅ SOLVED Can you help determine the age of these two items please.

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,351
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
I am having a senior moment tonight and can't think worth a tinker's damn. I should know what this knife blade is, but I don't tonight. It looks like a scythe blade but the tang is straight instead of 90º to the blade, Any help with this would be appreciated,

Also, any idea how old the axe head is. No markings on it.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.06.14 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.06.14 PM.webp
    374.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.06.32 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 8.06.32 PM.webp
    427.4 KB · Views: 104
I have an ax head like that. Dug it at a 1920's - 40's property a few years ago.

I tossed mine in a fire to cook off the rust. Then I went to Home Depot and got a handle for it.

Put an edge on it and it is the nicest, most balanced ax I've ever had in my hands.
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a corn knife and the ax probably very late 19th century to early 20th century.
 
Upvote 0
creskol, the ax head you found is similar to the one found at the "Saratoga" farm once owned by 2 of my ancestors (see attached photo). One lived from 1784-1834 and the other from 1863-1944. The later period agrees with Smokey's assessment.
 

Attachments

  • Ax found at Saratoga farm.webp
    Ax found at Saratoga farm.webp
    109.9 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom