Can you recommend a good coin scale ?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto. I am actually looking for a non-electronic scale, however.

Bowen89

Apr 3, 2012
South Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why non electric? As long as the scales batteries are good there should not be any issues. Any scales to the hundredths should work just fine

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to find -if you want non-electronic, you can find triple beam scales on flea-bay. If you want electronic with digital readouts, Harbor Freight has them for less than $20, item #97920. I'm not sure if there is Harbor Freight in P.Q., though.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy to find -if you want non-electronic, you can find triple beam scales on flea-bay. If you want electronic with digital readouts, Harbor Freight has them for less than $20, item #97920. I'm not sure if there is Harbor Freight in P.Q., though.

No Harbor Freight in Canada, only US and China.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowen89 said:
Why non electric? As long as the scales batteries are good there should not be any issues. Any scales to the hundredths should work just fine

Just the survivalist in me. I would like an electronic one, too.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would also say that if it measures out to 0.01, it is good enough for me. Just keep in mind that 1 ounce = 28.35grams. This might help to understand the capacity of the scale. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
K

Kaynos

Sep 13, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a cheap one on Ebay and i guess it's not sensitive enough, i put a coin on it and it doesnt even register. I dont know much about scale that's why i would like someone to suggest a scale that's sensitive enough to weight coins.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the Harbor Freight one........ #93543 Weighs in grams, ounces, grains, pennyweights, troy ounces and carats. Works fine for me.
Online link = Digital Pocket Scale $12.99 USD plus $6.99 shipping.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would also say that if it measures out to 0.01, it is good enough for me. Just keep in mind that 1 ounce = 28.35grams. This might help to understand the capacity of the scale. Hope it helps.

1 regular ounce is 28.35g, but a troy oz. is 31.10 grams.
[h=2][/h]

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your local head shop should have a nice selection of scales.

The one near me has a dozen or more different digital pocket scales as well as old school weighted scales for folks to weigh their "tobacco products". They also carry 1/2 oz, 1 oz & larger gold vials as well as a bunch of other items useful to treasure hunters.

Vzcxo

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The procedure of coin rating is not an actual art, and even using the coin rating scale, some professionals often periods will not consent on a coin's quality. coin has a full rim plus significant gadgets and functions are clearly defined.

Last edited:

Maathai Wangari

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small digital scale would be best for you to weigh in grams and ounces. The price of this scale starts from 12$ to onward. Online purchase will be best option for you and you can find it from your local resources s well. Buy this scale from a reliable source with scale warrentee

Last edited:

Adan Bailey

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find lots of Coin Scales from myscalestore .com. Here is the complete guidelines and available options for you.

Floor Scale

Last edited:

JamzRex

Jan 27, 2014
Hialeah, FL, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a cheap one on Ebay and i guess it's not sensitive enough, i put a coin on it and it doesnt even register. I dont know much about scale that's why i would like someone to suggest a scale that's sensitive enough to weight coins.
What kind of Scale have you purchased??? You are not making it clear with your post here.

JamzRex

Jan 27, 2014
Hialeah, FL, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your local head shop should have a nice selection of scales.

The one near me has a dozen or more different digital pocket scales as well as old school weighted scales for folks to weigh their "tobacco products". They also carry 1/2 oz, 1 oz & larger gold vials as well as a bunch of other items useful to treasure hunters.
Nice sharing. I think to search it local first is realy best option. And if we could not find it then we should go online to find some online sources..!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an AWS electronic, used my eBay bucks so it was free. It's been great.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one from the pawnshop it lights up and stuff to lol. It does grams oz and all that great stuff. Food scales work to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread