can you still legally prospect the east fork of the san gabriel river?

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes prospecting is open on the East Fork. I have heard machinery is not allowed, so your highbanker pump may get you in trouble. I have never seen anyone highback on the EF.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluice is ok. I wouldn't use the motor though.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can use whatever you want. There are at least one or two fairly aggressive Rangers up there. Why not just run the sluice in the stream?

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am glad it is open still, I am taking my first trip there with the kids this weekend.

It will be all the first trip prospecting for all of us. I really am not sure what I am doing but thats never stopped me before.
I ordered some equipment for about 40 bucks so the kids can learn to pan.

My youngest is 5 years old so I think we won't hike more than 2 miles in. Any advice on that?

I have read the previous forums about the East Fork located on this great site and appreciate all the great information and enthusiasm.
Especially Golddog and his partner if memory serves me right.

Anybody give me some feedback on this list for myself and 2 boys? I'll be carrying it all I imagine.

Rain boots for the boys
Nature Pass
Bucket
Mesh strainer thingy
2 Gold Pans
tweezers
2 collection vials
trashbag to pack out trash we find

And of course

sunblock
insect repellant
water and electrolytes (Do you guys know about Sqwincher? Stuff is great, I carry the Sugar Free Quik Stix to avoid any heat illness)
food
first aid kit
knife
hats
Do we need any gloves?

We are definitely going to stay out of people way and find a little spot to search in.
I don't think we will be looking for a good spot, anywhere in the river for our first time will do.

Any other advice?

We are gonna be happy to find a few worms and a cool rock or two, anything else is a huge bonus.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Rookie. Rather than bringing a trash bag ,you should bring a couple of trash trucks. When we could dredge there ,the miners would have a " Canyon Sweep" every so often and attempt to clean the place up. I hear it is very dirty now. Too bad.

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everywhere near Los Angeles has been abused by the many losers who reside here.

But we will go anyway, and we will pick up a little trash to remove.

we gotta start somewhere

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think it was me, but thanks. I'd say two miles is ambitious with a 5 year old. I did Cattle bridge area yesterday with some luck. Hiked a couple yards and got some decent color.

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/278830-east-fork-san-gabrial-so-cal.html

Was the thread and I guess it was rawdog and moondog I was reading, got all my dogs mixed up:occasion14:

Thanks for the input, my 5 year old is a little big bigger and tougher than most, but I will heed your advice and play it safe for the first trip.

Is the Cattle Bridge area literally a cattle bridge? Appreciate the advice.

Just ordered some Alaska dirt for 10 bucks so the kids can practice in the backyard.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, Cattle Cyn bridge. A mile or two before the end of the road. You can't park right at the bridge but the walk down from there is EZ. Park just before the Glendora Mtn. Rd u-turn.

If your boy is ok with a hike go ahead. When mine was young I liked to be close to the car. He'd go and go. But when he "hit the wall" it could get to be a loooong walk back.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of glass so gloves yes

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, Cattle Cyn bridge. A mile or two before the end of the road. You can't park right at the bridge but the walk down from there is EZ. Park just before the Glendora Mtn. Rd u-turn.

If your boy is ok with a hike go ahead. When mine was young I liked to be close to the car. He'd go and go. But when he "hit the wall" it could get to be a loooong walk back.

Great info, thank you. Looking at the Eldoradoville Campground led me to reading about read about the Great Flood of 1862 Great Flood of 1862 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that washed away the gold mining town of Eldoradoville.

Great history lessons about California are a great bonus to prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread