Dan Hughes
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Aug 26, 2008
- Messages
- 472
- Reaction score
- 71
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Champaign, IL
- Detector(s) used
- Several
- #1
Thread Owner
Canada did something really weird a couple of weeks ago. They did away with pennies.
As of February 4, banks could no longer get pennies from the mint. In fact, they have to turn in all their pennies. And merchants can no longer give pennies in change.
Basically, Canada is trying to get all pennies out of circulation, and be done with them forever. Like we did with half-cents back in 1857.
Listen to the whole story at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

I love spending gold dollars and seeing the look on people's faces when I hand them a Sacagawea or presidential dollar. At festivals I like to take rolls of gold dollars to spend. At the last one I attended one pizza vendor in particular received quite a few. Back to the topic though, my dad is a big supporter of doing away with the American penny as well. BTW the man also hoards copper pennies. 







