Cannonball find!!

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
My metal detecting club has a good relationship with the National Park Service management of the Palo Alto National Military Park here in South Texas and we help with providing experienced detectorist to help find artifacts when the NPS bush hog's an area for searching. We got the call and several members responded by showing up throughout this last week to help search. I could only do the weekend but I was rewarded yesterday(17 Apr). I am now an official member of the Palo Alto cannonball club! :hello2:
It was found about 10 in down using a Fisher CZ 70. The ball is a copper Mexican 4lb projectile.
I was stoked, or I guess you can tell that from the poop eating grin.
No, I could not keep the artifact. The GPS fellow ran right up and marked the spot and then the archaeologist bagged and tagged the item, but the rush I got from finding it and knowing I was helping not just myself but everyone in Texas with my work (fun) more than makes up for any feeling of loss and then some!! This plus the good rep it gives our club is indeed a bonus.
Well regardless, it was a great day for me and the history of Texas. Hopefully I will return and find other artifacts for the public. It was a blast!!
PS: I think I put this in the wrong spot in today's pics too. Sorry.

Attachments

• palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 829
  • palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    palto alto 2011 009.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0
Good Job! Another piece of history preserved thanks to you.

It is funny just to see the green patina on a cannonball, like a giant penny!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back