What's new

Cannonball? Need ID if possible.

Digger RJ

Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
22,153
Reaction score
37,830
Golden Thread
1
Location
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1654735
Stopped by a 120 year old home to try to get permission, which I did. But during Our conversation about detecting he says he has a cannonball he found in his field west of Tahlequa Ok. He said he didn't know who to ask about it, so I told him I'd share it and see if any of hunters at Treasure Net could help. He's in his 80's. Thanks for any help You may be in Advance. That's a quarter for size reference.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6227.webp
    IMG_6227.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
Might be a canister shot. They would put 9 of them in a holder and then fire the whole holder and they would seperate from it. Kind of like a shotgun shell
 
Me thinks it's to big to be cannister.whats the weight and diameter of it.
 
Cannonball Guy will be on soon I’m sure to ID it for you, I’d say 6 pounder solid shot
 
It's definitely around 6 lbs. I'll see if I can get measurements and weight next time Im there. Thanks for the info.
 
It's definitely not canister shot.

This is a canister shot ball I dug while helping an archeology team on the Pea Ridge National Military Park
20180318_134057.webp
 
Get precise measurements and weight and thecannonballguy will let you know. Did you clean it? The one picture is rusty raw and the other one is perfect.
 
Last edited:
It hasn't been cleaned
 
It's definitely not canister shot.

This is a canister shot ball I dug while helping an archeology team on the Pea Ridge National Military Park
View attachment 1654855
I always wanted to do that...I've been to Pea Ridge about 30 times and just drool...lol
 
Truth1253 I hope you aren't confusing the 12 pound canister shot ball I posted with the iron ball posted by Digger RJ.
 
Wow I just found a 24 pounder howitzer canister ball not to long ago and I had to bang the heck out of it to get the rust off. I was gonna ask you how you got it so beautifully smooth.View attachment 1654867

The second one I found I soaked in motor oil for a few weeks and beat the hell out of it with a hammer...then soaked and repeated...(Before I knew about the exploding ones...lol)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/111086-pre-post-civil-war-camp.html
 
I always wanted to do that...I've been to Pea Ridge about 30 times and just drool...lol

I live just a few miles from the park.
It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff is still in the ground when we get to do our digs.
Even more shocking is that virtually none of what we dig ever gets put on display.
 
I live just a few miles from the park.
It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff is still in the ground when we get to do our digs.
Even more shocking is that virtually none of what we dig ever gets put on display.

I put my name in several times but never got the chance....do you get to dig your own finds??
 
I have that extra crustacean on there do you recommend me soaking it in mineral oil or something?

I used USED motor oil....it took several months to finally get to the ball the crusty was so large....almost half again as big and gnarly.....
I think next time/if ever/ I will waste a can of WD40 or PAM...etc
 
I put my name in several times but never got the chance....do you get to dig your own finds??

Yes we get to dig our own stuff, and take pics with it if we want, then we bag it and flag it so the archie's can record it on their GPS and collect it
 
Yes we get to dig our own stuff, and take pics with it if we want, then we bag it and flag it so the archie's can record it on their GPS and collect it

That's super cool. What have you found there? Sorry for hijacking your thread Randy....:thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom