Cannonballguy,kuger,nhbenz, help

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys, I don't mean to single out anyone for this is an open forum for anyone's ideas. But I posted this relic not to long ago with not one response. That's why I'm re-posting this pic for the experts to look at in case you missed it. Any possible ideas of what it could be would be so nice. Dug it up at a civil war camp site that has produced pre,during,and post CW relics. The case itself is 4 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. Any pics that i could take which could help more? All ideas are welcome from everyone. By the way it was closed when I dug it and I opened up and that gear was inside. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 145

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It "looks" like a wick feeder for a kerosene camp stove burner of some type. . . just a thought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I couldn't see anything that would be hand cranked. Wick adjuster, feeder. Nice thoughts! Any pics for that?

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
When you mention that it was closed when you found it, do you mean that there was a seperate plate over the gear, or that the existing plate (in the picture) was wrapped around it more than it is currently (which doesn't look likely)? And, before you opened it up, were the teeth protruding through the plate that otherwise covered the gear? (which seems like the only way the gear could have done anything).
Or, more concisely - what did the part look like that was covering the gear?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The case covered the gears fully. It seemed to house the gearing. When opened, the gear could be taken out. Like a case to reading glasses. I opened the case and it broke. The top photo would have gone over the bottom one as to in case the gear.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Oh, whoops, thanks. I thought it was the same piece flipped over, as the rusted areas are similar as to if it were flipped.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those gears resemble some clock gears I have seen. Don't think it was part of a clock but very similar gears.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I think Broken Knee and Watercolor had it right... For now my belief is that the plates had gap between them (perhaps not when found, but originally) and that a wick went through for a set-up similar to this; Antique Wick-Type Cast-Iron Heater » Bureau of Trade
This is presuming that the shaft rusted off where exposed... Is there a hole where that could be the situation? Otherwise, there's no way for the gear to do anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Broken Knee and Watercolor had it right... For now my belief is that the plates had gap between them (perhaps not when found, but originally) and that a wick went through for a set-up similar to this; Antique Wick-Type Cast-Iron Heater » Bureau of Trade
This is presuming that the shaft rusted off where exposed... Is there a hole where that could be the situation? Otherwise, there's no way for the gear to do anything.
I'm not signing up, but I can see the piece in the image in back, yup that's it. HH
BK

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Broken Knee. It's one sode of a wick tractor feed for a large burner - sad iron or incubator heater.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a lot guys. At least I have a good idea of what it could be! And thanks to everyone who replied

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread