CANNOT BELIEVE THIS! Lend-Lease 37MM tank shell casing found!!!

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 37MM U.S. shell on a field by my country house in Latvia! I believe this one is from a M3 Stuart or M3 Lee as they both had served in the Soviet army during WW2 as part of the Lend-Lease program and both had 37MM guns. This is such an amazing find for me as I am 14 years old and started metal detecting about a week ago.

These are all the things my grandpa told me that he remembered that are associated with this house and WW2. Keep in mind that this happened in Latvia (the former WW2 Eastern Front).

So my grandpa said the previous owner of the house said that near the end of WW2 a couple U.S. tanks rolled up on to the field from a forest right next to the field and got shelled by German artillery about 3km away. It's known that one of the tanks took a direct hit from the artillery because the previous owner found a badly damaged tank generator on the field and I also knew the tanks were U.S. because the owner said that the plate with all the information about it was in English. When my grandpa's parents bought the house from that guy (around the 1950's) the house was a little bit damaged. A German artillery shell actually hit the house ,but didn't explode so they had to get it out. The main reason i actually thought about starting metal detecting was to find tank parts of these tanks that were by my house. The reasons as to why this shell is a bit damaged are: 1) This is the tank that took a direct hit from the German artillery or 2) This shell got mowed up by a plow. If anyone can help me find out more about this shell's lot that would be great!

IMG_1733[1].JPG IMG_1734[1].JPG IMG_1735[1].JPG

Here's a video of a similar generator starting up

Upvote 20
OP
OP
Slavdetect

Slavdetect

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Riga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the same 37MM because Estonia also was in the Eastern Front and when the Russians went to liberate the Baltic States in 1944 (called the Baltic Offensive) many Lend-Lease tanks were involved too including the M4 Sherman that the U.S. started shipping to the U.S.S.R. during the operation. The shell that i found belongs to the M3 Stuart (pictured below) as i think that the M3 Lee didn't have the auxiliary generator ,but they both had 37MM guns.

Below is a picture of a abandoned Soviet M3A1 Stuart tank.

Sx9TL.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
What the hell are you talking about? How was that spam. Also, if you want to accuse me of something PM me.

No sorry, saw the found this and it appeared that you where posting your own finds like many others do.

PM you, no not really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread