Canoe anchor? Grinding stone

It is natural water worn, not an artifact.

It us natural water worn, not an artifact.
It’s its super heavy hard stone found on a river with not many other stones it definitely was worked at some point with one side being flattened.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 12
It’s its super heavy hard stone found on a river with not many other stones it definitely was worked at some point with one side being flattened.
I walked the streams and rivers in Missouri for 20+ years artifact hunting, I saw many, many like it. It is natural, formed by centuries of water erosion, there are no signs on it of being worked at all.

I walked the streams and rivers in Missouri for 20+ years artifact hunting, I saw many, many like it. It is natural, formed by centuries of water erosion, there are no signs on it of being worked at all.
Just Curious to how you come to a conclusion of worked and none worked? (picture below)with this picture what shows it has been Worked?

ive walked the rivers, beaches, tills of maine for over 20 years and have not seen any rocks like this. I’m not questioning your opinion just would like to know how it’s formed. To me this is very out of place, it has wear on the stone in two spots where on most of the other parts of the rock you dont see that type of wear. If it was used the wear would be in the spots the wear is noticed. other artifacts that have been found look almost identical. Second photo I’ll post is as best as I can with what I have at the moment is show where the difference in wear. Yellow square area looks as if it were ground to shape. blue circle area looks worn by a less harsh, less abrasive. Then red x area looks more natural with an apparent difference in texture. Only reason I question you is if a Stone is worn naturally wouldn’t its most protruding areas be worn? If water worn is this rock Sticking up out of the water being surrounded 360 only in the the center of the stone? I hope this isn’t taken poorly. I see what I see and you see what you see. I would like to try and see what you see.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.png
    IMG_0414.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0414.png
    IMG_0414.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 22
stones do that. softer areas erode out leaving odd shapes. The most telling thing about you stone is the lack of obvious pecking/grinding. your stone has a smooth even patina, a dead give away of natural.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back