Can't decide on a metal detector for small gold

daworm

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2018
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in the U.P. of Michigan. We have tiny specks of gold on the sandy beaches. I've been trying to research a couple detectors without much luck.
Fisher Gold Bug Pro 2, Garrett At gold, Minelab Equinox 800 and the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. (Garrett and Minelab from the GPAA liftetime bundle.)
As anyone ever tried these brands on the shores of Lake Superior. How do they handle in wet and dry sands. Where I live there is alot of copper. Would that
interfere with the detection of gold? I do plan to travel to other places to detect but I'd like to try in my home area. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a video from a guy in Australia said no detector beats the XP ORX for small gold.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the U.P. of Michigan. We have tiny specks of gold on the sandy beaches. I've been trying to research a couple detectors without much luck.
Fisher Gold Bug Pro 2, Garrett At gold, Minelab Equinox 800 and the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. (Garrett and Minelab from the GPAA liftetime bundle.)
As anyone ever tried these brands on the shores of Lake Superior. How do they handle in wet and dry sands. Where I live there is alot of copper. Would that
interfere with the detection of gold? I do plan to travel to other places to detect but I'd like to try in my home area. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Don't know about any other machine , but I was impressed that My Nox800 hit on a gold flake pretty good that I purchased at a gold mine in Colorado in a vial.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can watch thos video at the 25 minute mark.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 705

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I own both a xterra 705 and a mine lab gold monster 1000 the gold monster is a deadly machine on really small gold have never used one on a beach of sand though, the closest i have come to a beach as you describe is a wash on my off grid property that was highly mineralized sand, the GM1000 is probably one of the simplest machines out there for gold detection you can purchase as for the copper that is going to give any machine fits it has been so long since i have ran the GM 1000 that i can not remember which side of the gold chance meter copper shows up on, I will tell you that all modern clad coins will ping on the gold side of the meter on the GM 1000 when you get over them and i believe copper does also if i am remembering correctly, it has been well over 2 years since i was able to go out and detect so please bare that in mind, with the GM 1000 i have dug coins as deep as 10 measured inches and lead bullets and brass casings even deeper,

The Xterra 705 in my opinion has always been one of the most under rated detectors to have ever been produced in my opinion the down side of the 705 is you cannot get it wet but it is a vary vary capable detector that is no longer produced, i have never felt the need to upgrade to anything else even though mine lab has made some nice upgraded machines, i also have a garret ATP that i never have meshed with and i am not saying its a bad machine i have always felt it was and still is a way overrated detector that i just personally do not care for.

What I would do if you believe there is gold in the beach i would collect 5-10 five gallon buckets purchase a miller table and sit down in my back yard and start running it on a miller table you will find out in a hurry if there is gold in the sand just my opinion though

Last edited:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had luck with my XP with a HF coil regarding small gold. On the highest frequency it picks up small gold very easily but down side is it will also pick up a lot of junk but the good stuff is always just a little different in sound and with what the screen shows. Mine has found me some nice small gold and silver and my first little gold nugget. But just my experience and I haven't used many detectors so others with more experience will probably have better insight than I.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Howdy!

If you are talking about the very small gold you find in the black sand on the beaches, there isn't a detector that can pick that up. A detector will respond to the heavy black sand, so you can use a gold machine to locate possible areas where you could mine that small gold.

I suggest you contact some of the other gold prospectors in your area, and ask then what equipment they are using to glean that small gold from the black sands.

If it was me, I'd collect a bucketful of the black sands, run that through a 20 mesh classifier, and then run the those concentrates through a Gold Cube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread