What's new

Can’t identify this spoon

rickertmork

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
373
Reaction score
743
Golden Thread
0
I found this near a thrift store. It appears to be silver, but I can’t find those symbols anywhere on it the goog, I know you guys can help. There are no other markings. It bends easily like silver should and doesn’t stick to magnet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5594.webp
    IMG_5594.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5590.webp
    IMG_5590.webp
    717.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5591.webp
    IMG_5591.webp
    976.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5588.webp
    IMG_5588.webp
    519.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5589.webp
    IMG_5589.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5592.webp
    IMG_5592.webp
    692.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5593.webp
    IMG_5593.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5596.webp
    IMG_5596.webp
    955.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5595.webp
    IMG_5595.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
I would say not English.... where did you find it, what European settlers were common in that area?
 
Those are Danish marks for silverplate. Rotating your picture (and the marks are not all in the same orientation), the top mark is a ‘Two Towers’ mark:

Spoon.webp


That mark was intended to be used by all Danish producers of silverplate from around 1921 onwards and was accompanied by the letter ‘P’ in a circle, standing for ‘Plet’ (plated) as on your spoon. Like this:

Denmark Silver Plate.webp


In 1926 the Danish Standards Association was founded and in 1929 they deemed the mark to be a failure because it wasn’t industry-backed by any agreed quality standard for the plating. Many makers stopped using it not long afterwards, especially those who were members of the FDG (Fællesrepræsentationen for Danmarks Guldsmede or Common Representation of Danish Goldsmiths). In 1929 the FDG registered a ‘Torch’ symbol as a trademark to be alternatively used by its members only as a quality mark for silverplate and the Foreningen af Sølvpletfabrikanter (Organisation of Silverplate Manufacturers) took over the rights for the trademark from FDG around 1932.

The other mark will be the maker mark, but I can’t tell if it’s ‘BN’ or ‘RN’. Either way I don’t know who that is, but it’s not a well-known maker.
 
If it was plated wouldn’t it be not easy to bend? Those are the 2 towers great work mate
 
I got a two tower spoon sitting on a bookshelf in my home office room full of the stuff I've collected. It has another mark that's pretty flat and unidentifiable.
 

Attachments

  • 20260126_201340.webp
    20260126_201340.webp
    897.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20260126_201420.webp
    20260126_201420.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
Those are Danish marks for silverplate. Rotating your picture (and the marks are not all in the same orientation), the top mark is a ‘Two Towers’ mark:

View attachment 2242305

That mark was intended to be used by all Danish producers of silverplate from around 1921 onwards and was accompanied by the letter ‘P’ in a circle, standing for ‘Plet’ (plated) as on your spoon. Like this:

View attachment 2242307

In 1926 the Danish Standards Association was founded and in 1929 they deemed the mark to be a failure because it wasn’t industry-backed by any agreed quality standard for the plating. Many makers stopped using it not long afterwards, especially those who were members of the FDG (Fællesrepræsentationen for Danmarks Guldsmede or Common Representation of Danish Goldsmiths). In 1929 the FDG registered a ‘Torch’ symbol as a trademark to be alternatively used by its members only as a quality mark for silverplate and the Foreningen af Sølvpletfabrikanter (Organisation of Silverplate Manufacturers) took over the rights for the trademark from FDG around 1932.

The other mark will be the maker mark, but I can’t tell if it’s ‘BN’ or ‘RN’. Either way I don’t know who that is, but it’s not a well-known maker.
So how on earth did you know that?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom