Cant stand a cheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stand a cheat!

Assateague beach in MD has a no detecting policy from memorial day to labor day so today is usually a big rush to that beach. However for some time we have had a bunch of asshats that come from Baltimore and other places,lets say non-locals, who come in and camp spend the night and actually the night before the beach is open to law abiding detectorists go out in the dark and hunt the beach.

We arrived at 9am for the gates to open only to see people already on the beach detecting.no big deal because they opened the gates a few minutes early,however when we hit the beach there were holes every where. A large group scanning the sand came up with nothing but a few clad. 4 months with nobody hunting a well trafficked beach and nothing? Talk about some pissed off people. We knew it was those same asshats again. Seems we have too many posts about shows that incite ppl to become greedy hunters with no morals but here we already have that and been going on before any show on TV.
That's the stuff that makes me angry, people who feel it necessary to cheat, break the law just so they can get it before you do. I'd love to find one of these people and shove his detector where the sun don't shine, the more sand on it the better.
What do the officers say about it...we don't have the man power to patrol the beaches at night and the people know it. Just pathetic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I really thought it was easy to understand. I will type it again. The beach is closed from dusk till 9am so during the summer dusk of course is later and they allow to stay later but after labor day it switches to 5pm closing so....9am-5pm for the state side of the beach...if u want some fun take your detector to the federal side and say goodbye to what you brought with you. State side is where you hunt, they have places for open camping and fire pits but its off the beach. Also as I mentioned there was damage done that night because they have the beaches blocked off and use electric fences mainly for the ponies but it helps keep knuckleheads out too but this time they cut the lines, cut the main cable that holds the gates shut just so they could hunt before anyone else which starts at 9 A freaking M not 12:01am or 6 am or when whatever flipping ******* bird gets up. Its like some ppl feel its their goal in life just to stir poop to make it stink more and more for what? They don't honestly give a damn about the actual premise of the post just hey let me see what inane idea I can throw back at someone. Look back at the posts from ppl, majority has been about doing what the cheats did or early birds getting worms or maybe the law means this or that so just do what you want. Like hearing an argument between my kids.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Man I really thought it was easy to understand. I will type it again. The beach is closed from dusk till 9am so during the summer dusk of course is later and they allow to stay later but after labor day it switches to 5pm closing so....9am-5pm for the state side of the beach...if u want some fun take your detector to the federal side and say goodbye to what you brought with you. State side is where you hunt, they have places for open camping and fire pits but its off the beach. Also as I mentioned there was damage done that night because they have the beaches blocked off and use electric fences mainly for the ponies but it helps keep knuckleheads out too but this time they cut the lines, cut the main cable that holds the gates shut just so they could hunt before anyone else which starts at 9 A freaking M not 12:01am or 6 am or when whatever flipping ******* bird gets up. Its like some ppl feel its their goal in life just to stir poop to make it stink more and more for what? They don't honestly give a damn about the actual premise of the post just hey let me see what inane idea I can throw back at someone. Look back at the posts from ppl, majority has been about doing what the cheats did or early birds getting worms or maybe the law means this or that so just do what you want. Like hearing an argument between my kids.

if the beach is closed at night, where are those people who are camping there staying? Perhaps back in the dunes ... up higher somewhere, that's not technically considered "the beach" ? And heaven help those people if they left their tents for a stroll on the beach during the dark hours? Ie.: they can only walk around their tents, but not down at the water?

When the rule you cite that says "beach open or closed at such & such hours", may actually be a semantics/wording thing. I too can think of beaches here that use the terms "open at such & such time". But what that MEANS is, that the LOT opens at such & such time. Not saying that's necessarily the case there, but .... just saying .... So again: you may be getting caught up in minutia. But to test it for sure: Simply stake out the place with binnoculars (from a distance lest you be "arrested" for being on the beach in the dark), next year. Call the cops when you see any hint of someone on the beach (the tell-tale glow of flashlights or detector screen back-lights). See what kind of priority they put on this "agregious" thing.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still haven't seen a link or even a picture of a sign which states the beach is closed. I looked up the beach you mentioned and posted the rules from the government website. NOTHING said the beach was closed, only that the "day use" area of store and showers were closed until 9 am.

Where is your "law"?

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bzbadger, I said that I see both sides of the story and feel I should now acknowledge your side a little more.
Whether people dissect this and argue it until their blue in the face, the bottom line is this is YOUR experience and the disappointment you went through, and still are continuing to go through with this thread is unfortunate.
It's funny how those who responded again to reinforce their opinions, fail to address the fact that these night-hawkers cut the electric fence to get in. Where's the integrity in that? Show us the law and yet, is it lawful to cut the fence?
So, even if this whole issue is completely your mistake, what good is it in calling you a crybaby?
Is this what they do to their wives or girlfriends who just came home after an auto accident that was technically her fault?
Tell her to stop b*tching because it was her fault and don't be such a crybaby? See how fast she walks out the door!
So, the lesson in all of this is not to waste your time on the internet in hopes of getting some kind of acknowledgement because it's not going to happen!
Pay attention to these people who felt it necessary to twist the dagger in case they have a rant one day and give them a taste of their own medicine.
Stick to what is morally right to you and chose wisely with whom you share your thoughts with.
Sure, I'm an "early bird gets the worm" believer but not if it means killing a pony and cutting the electric fence!
I just wanted to say to you "Wow, that sucks man" and leave it at that.
Of course, I never was the type of person to rub it one's face.
H.H.
Dave.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look again Cudamark, Wouldn't not would not......and was making a bad joke........but fully understand the frustration. :tongue3:
Agreed, bad joke.......

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks muddy, someone who actually gets it. Tom as far as those who camp and want a midnight stroll as I wrote much earlier there is a camping spot designated just for this purpose. There's an area just for campers of all kinds and they have a large section of beach they have to themselves. This post was specifically about the area that's off limits till the designated time and for petes sake Jason are you honestly going to repeat yourself and repeat the state farm commercial that you should believe everything you read on the internet if so I guess you are dating some nerdy fat unshaven fake Frenchman. What is on the website is just a part of it because there are several rules written and enforced by 3 entities..park rangers, DNR and the Feds. If you want to read through all of that mess im sure its complicated but what's not is just do what has been legally done for decades which is don't go on the beach till 9am, very simple, makes it fair for everyone. If you don't understand that if it takes a person to cut cables and electric fence to get on while its dark, that what's been done is illegal then either you're just ignorant beyond all hope or you just enjoy stirring up poop for the stink. I think everyone here feels that if someone broke the law and it affected you that you would be upset. This isn't a matter of us all starting to swing at the crack of a starter pistol and just because either you have an uber machine, longer legs, a bigger scoop and those who didn't were left behind and found nothing and cried unfair, this is just easily seen as illegal actions for the sake of greed. I wrote another post about helping a homeless man by giving him food and a bible who was harassed by the cops for walking on a public road, anyone want to go there and tell me how wrong I am for doing that?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what is in question is the legal start time for detecting that beach. Until you see 9:00am written down in some legal document, it seems to me that the 12:00am start of the day would be it. Just because 9:00am's been used for decades doesn't mean that is the legal start time. Maybe the Baltimore group did their homework and found out they could start at 12:00am. If that's true, then 12:00am is just as "fair" as 9:00am.....unless you don't have an alarm clock! :laughing7: The other violations mentioned (and even this supposed one) could happen any day of the year and really have nothing to do with "opening day". It's just the day the "violators" chose to be there. They could just as easily cut the wire and run over a horse the week before or several months after.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and how does anyone know that it was detectorest that ran over the horse and cut the wires? If I were going somewhere to metal detect, I sure wouldnt cut the fence! Just because someone comes in at 12am, does not mean they are guilty of everything else.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only that, but, if I planned on poaching a beach, when would I do it? On the eve, just hours before I could do it legally, with a bunch of prying eyes watching every move I make? Or, a few days or a week before when nobody is around that has an ax to grind? Somehow it just doesn't make total sense to me....but then I'm not a "stupid" (smart?) crook! :dontknow:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... if so I guess you are dating some nerdy fat unshaven fake Frenchman. ...

No, I AM the fat, fake Frenchman. Get your facts about me first, THEN distort them.

Nobody said you were doing anything "wrong" so what does the other thread have to do with this one? The debate here is that you claim people are breaking a law and we can't find evidence of the supposed law existing. Debate facts, not emotions.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda I know you are asking questions for the sake of knowing and playing a little devils advocate too and I don't mind that at all but I have tried several times and thought I'd put it plain as day and because I have no qualms with anyone, I will state it once again very simple...the rules we read that are shown to us by the rangers,by the DNR are this and plz nobody needs to turn it any other way..the written rules shown to us are..NO metal detecting until the beach opens at 9am the day following labor day. Its so simple and that's what had bothered me throughout this whole thread is ppl from elsewhere saying well maybe they meant this..maybe they meant that..are you sure you didn't hear wrong or read wrong...no guys I have been on top of this my fellow club members have been on top of this before I joined. Were actually bringing this up tonight at the meeting and the ramifications other's actions may bring down on us.
As far as the comment that maybe someone else cut the cables etc etc. Well if we want to guess it may be someone else fine but tell me WHO but someone wanting to get a jump start on the others would bring bolt cutters to a beach just to go walking WHEN if you are a regular camper you have access to your own beach. The pony died and yes it could have been anyone but the area where it died is where the cables were cut, within 70 -80 feet, right at the edge of sand and asphalt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, you say you were SHOWN this rule, but it's not printed on the official website. How can you blame someone who looks up the rules and then follows what they find? If I was in your area and interested in hunting that beach I would have done exactly what I did here for research. I would have seen the rules said "day after" and nothing said a specific time so I probably would have been there at sunrise swinging away like the others. Your anger should be directed at the people enforcing this unpublished rule.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda I know you are asking questions for the sake of knowing and playing a little devils advocate too and I don't mind that at all but I have tried several times and thought I'd put it plain as day and because I have no qualms with anyone, I will state it once again very simple...the rules we read that are shown to us by the rangers,by the DNR are this and plz nobody needs to turn it any other way..the written rules shown to us are..NO metal detecting until the beach opens at 9am the day following labor day. Its so simple and that's what had bothered me throughout this whole thread is ppl from elsewhere saying well maybe they meant this..maybe they meant that..are you sure you didn't hear wrong or read wrong...no guys I have been on top of this my fellow club members have been on top of this before I joined. Were actually bringing this up tonight at the meeting and the ramifications other's actions may bring down on us.
As far as the comment that maybe someone else cut the cables etc etc. Well if we want to guess it may be someone else fine but tell me WHO but someone wanting to get a jump start on the others would bring bolt cutters to a beach just to go walking WHEN if you are a regular camper you have access to your own beach. The pony died and yes it could have been anyone but the area where it died is where the cables were cut, within 70 -80 feet, right at the edge of sand and asphalt.

Your original post said CAMPERS hit the beach before you got there...you've changed and added details to every post since...so try to understand why people are skeptical...they cant find any of the rules you've been shown...Im not taking sides, just trying to see it from both.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

"•Public access to the beach and the day use parking lot is open from 9:00 a.m. to sunset, 7 days a week."

reading is a lost art.

Yet, when you do a search for "assateague beach metal detecting" you get THIS: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service (the website title is the same but a different page) as your #1 result. This says nothing about no access prior to 9 am.

This page also says this:

• What are the rules after the guards go off duty?
    Rules remain the same, however, fishing, kayaking, and/or surfing is permitted in the swimming sector outside guarded hours. The beach is periodically patrolled by park staff when the lifeguards are off duty. The beach is “unprotected” and any use is at your own risk. We strongly suggest visitors abide by the regulations posted.

Which at least implies that being on the beach between the hours of 5pm and 9 am is not prohibited. This point does seem to contradict it's self though, saying you can but it's against the regulations?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet, when you do a search for "assateague beach metal detecting" you get THIS: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service (the website title is the same but a different page) as your #1 result. This says nothing about no access prior to 9 am.

Rules remain the same, however, fishing, kayaking, and/or surfing is permitted in the swimming sector outside guarded hours. The beach is periodically patrolled by park staff when the lifeguards are off duty. The beach is “unprotected” and any use is at your own risk. We strongly suggest visitors abide by the regulations posted.

Which at least implies that being on the beach between the hours of 5pm and 9 am is not prohibited. This point does seem to contradict it's self though, saying you can but it's against the regulations?
Outside of guarded hours, but not overnight. The beach opens before the life guards go on duty and it stays open after they leave. You can be there when the life guards aren't there but not between sunset and 9am. The day use area, which includes the beach, is closed from sunset to 9am....soooo, no one should have been detecting that beach before 9am....Im on bzbadgers side now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Interesting take on the matter. I think it is kinda like this: words/phrases like "opens and such such time" to some people imply that ........ anytime OUTSIDE of that time, is therefore closed. And thus, you "can't be there". Since .... duh ... it's "closed" While it's entirely possible that the term is used for meaning "gate closed and no lifeguard on duty. Use at your own risk".

The verbage you found certainly seems to imply that meaning of closed and open, as simply .... when it's manned, parking lot open, etc.... I mean, seriously now: Is there a fence in the sand, from the north or southbound direction, where ..... if a person were walking north or south from a different entities beach, that they all-of-the-sudden-know that they can't proceed further on the sand, because "this beach is closed"? I doubt it. In fact, I have never even HEARD of any ocean beach having a closed time. I mean, isn't that the prime time for lover's strolls, moon-light walks, etc... ?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
In South Carolina State Parks most of the Gates have opening and closing times. You cannot detect in the parks but if you need a place to park, just pay the Daily Fee. The beaches are Public.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting take on the matter. I think it is kinda like this: words/phrases like "opens and such such time" to some people imply that ........ anytime OUTSIDE of that time, is therefore closed. And thus, you "can't be there". Since .... duh ... it's "closed" While it's entirely possible that the term is used for meaning "gate closed and no lifeguard on duty. Use at your own risk".

The verbage you found certainly seems to imply that meaning of closed and open, as simply .... when it's manned, parking lot open, etc.... I mean, seriously now: Is there a fence in the sand, from the north or southbound direction, where ..... if a person were walking north or south from a different entities beach, that they all-of-the-sudden-know that they can't proceed further on the sand, because "this beach is closed"? I doubt it. In fact, I have never even HEARD of any ocean beach having a closed time. I mean, isn't that the prime time for lover's strolls, moon-light walks, etc... ?
You always say if its not in the written rules then go for it...its in the written rules "closed from sunset to 9am". You can take your chances on anything and I do all the time but not when its a written rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions