What's new

Cap BOMB ?,Or part of one??...Who made it???

tokenhead

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
848
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Location
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:,Hello Everybody!!!,I have had this cast iron clown(?)Which look's to me to have been a cap bomb from the 1890's-early 1900's.I would like to know if anybody on TN has ever seen a "cap-bomb" like this one&if so knowing who made it.It look's similar to GREY IRON "Crazy Clowns" but doesn't look like any,meaning the possibility of being made by Grey Iron as the flag bearer is.Approx.3in.high and 1&1/4in.shoulder to shoulder.I have search many book's on Kenton,Hubley,Arcade,etc.& web search's,etc.Found in an old dump barely underground w/no signs of other part with-in a 1/4 mile radius.
This little guy has been drivin me crazy figuring out what it is(Pretty sure it's a cap bomb due to it being 2parts)And who made it,ANY help will be greatfully appreciated,Thank's for looking&listening HH ALL !!! :read2:, :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 2462.webp
    Picture 2462.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Picture 2461.webp
    Picture 2461.webp
    10.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 2460.webp
    Picture 2460.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Picture 2459.webp
    Picture 2459.webp
    18 KB · Views: 400
  • Picture 2458.webp
    Picture 2458.webp
    8 KB · Views: 385
  • Picture 2456.webp
    Picture 2456.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 376
I don't think it is a cap bomb.
It also isn't a clown figure. It represents a possibly German or Swiss boy or man and I wonder if it was once attached to a cuckoo style clock.
Here's a similar boy figurine described as German.
boy figure.webp
It is item #1039 here: http://www.dargate.com/cat/239_auction/239_images/239catalog.htm

Whatever, it is interesting and I hope we can solve the puzzle.
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I don't think it is a cap bomb.
It also isn't a clown figure. It represents a possibly German or Swiss boy or man and I wonder if it was once attached to a cuckoo style clock.
Here's a similar boy figurine described as German.


It is item #1039 here: http://www.dargate.com/cat/239_auction/239_images/239catalog.htm

Whatever, it is interesting and I hope we can solve the puzzle.
Cheers, Mike
Thanks for input! I do not beleive it is any type of Hummel,or any other ceramic figure at all,No disrespect intended at ALL!!! But this peice is obviously(obvious when in hand)a TWO peice unit. W.Goebel may have used two part molds but this item is cast iron and based on where it was found i just don't see the connection.All the molds i ever came across were made of Brass/Bronze/Lead&in some case's copper,At first i thought it was a mold because of it being two peices as is the case in 99.9% of CI Cap Bomb's...My Aunt before she died at 93 she had 300 or more"hummels"&related figurines and this item is no where near Shape,form,constuction,etc.of a hummel/Goebel figurine.Again thank you for your input&intrest :thumbsup:,I too hope we can solve this puzzle! Isn't TN cool!???! HH ALL !!!-THANX Mike :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
maybe the hole was for a screw and it attached to something???
:icon_thumright:Thank's for input QUICKSILVER (appletree),I'll try and get some better pictures up...The hole "i" beleive is where "the button" of the triggering device stuck out...So when thrown&hit the ground BOOM off go's the cap inside.But this is why i posted it to find out if i'm right or wrong,well to find out what it is really ! NOT if i'm right or wrong,just"WHAT IS IT"... :dontknow:,HH ALL!!!
 
Upvote 0
Is the base broken off of something else?
 
Upvote 0
Then it would have to hit the ground stomach first?
 
Upvote 0
nowheels7 said:
Then it would have to hit the ground stomach first?
Correct! It would have too...part of the confusion of what it is&what you see is "flash",extra metal NOT ground off yet,maybe intentional for balance?,Thank's for input&intrest !!! :icon_thumright:,HH ALL !!!
 
Upvote 0
tokenhead said:
trikikiwi said:
I don't think it is a cap bomb.
It also isn't a clown figure. It represents a possibly German or Swiss boy or man and I wonder if it was once attached to a cuckoo style clock.
Here's a similar boy figurine described as German.


It is item #1039 here: http://www.dargate.com/cat/239_auction/239_images/239catalog.htm

Whatever, it is interesting and I hope we can solve the puzzle.
Cheers, Mike
Thanks for input! I do not beleive it is any type of Hummel,or any other ceramic figure at all,No disrespect intended at ALL!!! But this peice is obviously(obvious when in hand)a TWO peice unit. W.Goebel may have used two part molds but this item is cast iron and based on where it was found i just don't see the connection.All the molds i ever came across were made of Brass/Bronze/Lead&in some case's copper,At first i thought it was a mold because of it being two peices as is the case in 99.9% of CI Cap Bomb's...My Aunt before she died at 93 she had 300 or more"hummels"&related figurines and this item is no where near Shape,form,constuction,etc.of a hummel/Goebel figurine.Again thank you for your input&intrest :thumbsup:,I too hope we can solve this puzzle! Isn't TN cool!???! HH ALL !!!-THANX Mike :thumbsup:
I wasn't suggesting at all that it was a Hummel ;D I use the figurine as an example of the style of clothing to show it wasn't a clown.
Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom