Capped Bust half dollar!

ForumRunner_20130515_175905.png

ForumRunner_20130515_180132.png

ForumRunner_20130515_180214.png

ForumRunner_20130515_180340.png

ForumRunner_20130515_180538.png

That's a great find! That thing has been beat was in in salt water?

Scouts out!

Sweet find !!! Old style eagle rocks:thumbsup:

Great find. The dirt clod negatives are very cool!:thumbsup:

Cool find, but the way its flaking apart on the edge makes it look like it might be a fake. Or maybe it's been in a wet or saltwater environment for a very long time. I like it regardless.

There's an excellent chance it's a contemporary (meaning "from the 19th century era") counterfeit. It just does not look like it's made of silver. What it could be is German Silver, an alloy of copper/nickel/zinc that might corrode this way. Many of these counterfeit coins circulated in the 1840s-1860s, and I suspect a lot of them were chucked into a local river when the owner discovered they were bogus.

Nice coin....but definitely counterfeit. You can see where the coins' different metals,(alloy), broke apart and chipped away. Would be nice if you could get a date from it. Pretty Kool! Hogge

I trust that this was found in the water? A shame what it does to a beautiful coin, ain't it.

Still, very nice!

HH!

im guessing fake from its color and edge chipping. nice sharp liberty headband though, lol

very cool even though my gut tells me it's counterfeit

Nice coin....but definitely counterfeit. You can see where the coins' different metals,(alloy), broke apart and chipped away. Would be nice if you could get a date from it. Pretty Kool! Hogge

Capped bust half dime from same site.
Have you guys seen alot of silver that has spent over 150 yrs. in salt soaked sand? The flaking on the surface is quite common.
I have found silver Cobb's from the 1700's.. same thing.

IMG_8836_2.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back