1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello All,

Have a stupid question but interested to see what all you water hunters do with your car keys while hunting in the water? I used to have an older vehicle where it didn?t matter if the keys got wet or not. I now have a new car with a chip in the key and FOB and just wondered what everyone does with their keys while in the water. I know there are water proof bags and items that hang on your neck etc but this is such a great forum for seeing everyone?s ideas thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for any sharing/suggestions!

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I dropped my keys while getting out of my boat.They fell just between the boat & dock in 12 ft. of water. The key ring had 20+ plus keys on it To 2 businesses,3 cars,2 homes & on & on.
I marked the exact spot on the dock where they went in.Called a dive buddy who came w/in a few minutes and after a 1/2 hr dive ....no keys :BangHead:
Long story short it cost a fortune in Locksmith fees for all new locks . I'll Never do that again !

So... your fix for this next time.

There is this fancy thing called a MAGNET.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... your fix for this next time.

There is this fancy thing called a MAGNET.

He used one but zero vis & 5 plus feet of river muck was too much for that 'fancy thing'

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a large one tied to a rope... dip dip BING !

The marina attendant let me use one ,I did that dip dip thing before he got there and no BING :icon_scratch: Maybe a sturgeon had it for lunch ???

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The marina attendant let me use one ,I did that dip dip thing before he got there and no BING :icon_scratch: Maybe a sturgeon had it for lunch ???

OR... the slim chance your "split ring" was stainless... and nothing else on your ring was magnetic... keys are not... they are generally brass...even if they dont look it... they are plated brass.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I keep my chipped ignition key in my swim suit pocket and have never lost it or had a problem with the chip. I also use a small magnetic box for my ignition key only and keep it in the gas filler cavity. If it falls off, which it never has, it's still behind the gas filler door. Ed

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my keys and my phone in a water proof bag that is tethered to my fishing vest that I wear and put the bag in a zippered pocket of that vest. My phone is water proof to a degree in case a emergency arises and I need to call for help cause you never know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread