1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello All,

Have a stupid question but interested to see what all you water hunters do with your car keys while hunting in the water? I used to have an older vehicle where it didn?t matter if the keys got wet or not. I now have a new car with a chip in the key and FOB and just wondered what everyone does with their keys while in the water. I know there are water proof bags and items that hang on your neck etc but this is such a great forum for seeing everyone?s ideas thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for any sharing/suggestions!

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put mine in a baggie and then put that inside of one of those hard sided waterproof cases that I clip to the inside of my pouch. Another alternative though is to get a key without a chip that just unlocks your door. Then you leave you chipped key inside your car.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a fob and was putting them in my finds pouch. Fresh water was fine, but they started rusting in salt. I drive a pickup with a high cap and ladder rack. Since I'm 6'6" , I can reach up and place my keys on top center of cap between the ladders. Unless someone sees me put them up, no one will find them, and I won't have to worry about losing them.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hiding my one key under the truck with a magnetic box. this way when I get out of the water I know where it is . always use to worry when I had it in my pouch that it could fall out

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hiding my one key under the truck with a magnetic box. this way when I get out of the water I know where it is . always use to worry when I had it in my pouch that it could fall out

Haaa ha ha.....now I can borrow your truck when your in the water.....I know I know...you'd let me borrow it anyway !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a natural spot on the frame of the truck where mine fit perfectly, and are perfectly hidden !!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
If you have a FORD, you are in luck. You can get an optional KEY PAD at the dealer. The keypad is affixed to the car's door and you can set your own code. Bingo...leave everything locked up in the car, safe and sound as long as you do not forget the combo. I have a keypad on my Focus, and Transit Connect. I have had them since 1998 on a Taurus and Merc. Monterey. If you trust the people you detect with, you can give them the code so you would not have to go with them if they needed to get into the car while you are detecting.

PS the Keypad is "glued" onto the car, no holes or wiring needs to be done. But all your keys need to be programed along with the keypad.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vehicle has a keyed gas cap door, so, I lock the fob inside the door and just carry the metal key in my zippered finds pouch to open it.

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GMC Sierra, behind the front tire there is a flat area between the tire and the large coil spring. My key ring has fob and truck key, 3 other keys and most important a bottle opener so this spot is perfect

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I had a few keys made just to open the door only and I wear it around my neck and leave the key that starts the car in the car.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i gorilla tape mine to the inside of one of my tires - gorilla sticks to rubber pretty good
just make sure no one sees me do it

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Most newer car won't allow you to lock the keys in the car and use the emergency key off the fob. Just go and buy a realtor lock box for 17 dollars online 20 Home Depot. Lock it around the one of the many tie down locations at the back of the car. Just place the key in there while hunting, its all locked up and safe. This is what surfers have been doing for years!

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also buy a lock that goes into your receiver hitch that does the same thing.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it under the edge of my back bumper...bend down putting on my water shoes and stick it under there so I dont look suspicious.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I dropped my keys while getting out of my boat.They fell just between the boat & dock in 12 ft. of water. The key ring had 20+ plus keys on it To 2 businesses,3 cars,2 homes & on & on.
I marked the exact spot on the dock where they went in.Called a dive buddy who came w/in a few minutes and after a 1/2 hr dive ....no keys :BangHead:
Long story short it cost a fortune in Locksmith fees for all new locks . I'll Never do that again !

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belt dry box... along with wallet ,, lighter and smokes.

OP
OP
1HappyHunter

1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Most newer car won't allow you to lock the keys in the car and use the emergency key off the fob. Just go and buy a realtor lock box for 17 dollars online 20 Home Depot. Lock it around the one of the many tie down locations at the back of the car. Just place the key in there while hunting, its all locked up and safe. This is what surfers have been doing for years!

I super appreciate everyone's feedback. I never though about actually locking it to one of the tie downs. I bought a magnetic box, but definitely like the idea of it being locked to something. Thanks again for all of the amazing suggestions and great Laughs...... and its not a FORD don't worry :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread