What's new

Caribbean Vacation - U.S. Customs

1surfer

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Plan on bringing my Metal Detector to my timeshare on a Caribbean Island this year. Lets say, I get lucky and find a number of coins and rings. When I arrive back at U.S. Customs, returning to the U.S. - conversation will be ?
 
Can you mail said items? Might want to check into that.
 
A few years back some poor smuck crossed the border from Canada with quite a few gold coins. He did NOT declare them. Of course, Customs discovered them and the penalty was confiscation. The sad irony was all he had to due was declare them and he would have kept them.
 
I took a cruise and upon returning we went through customs and all we did was fill out forms.

I do know the shop owners shipped your booze home and you paid a fee there.

If YOU mail something they can open it and keep it.

If it fits wear the jewels.

either way it is a gamble. :coffee2:
 
I would just put it in my luggage or carry on....You didn't buy them you found them.......I wouldn't even declare them, you have your detector to prove how you came by them.......
 
I don't know how it is with the border customs on ships or planes, verses autos, but with Autos (like at Tijuana or Jaurez, for instance), you just drive right through. The few random cars they pull aside to search, trust me, they're looking for drugs, not a few gold rings or gold coins. Now I suppose if you had your entire back of your SUV filled with gold bars ........... there might be an issue. But other than that, they're looking for illegal immigrants, drugs, etc....

Not sure why ships or planes would be any different. I mean ......... is someone really going through your underwear bag, shaving kit, etc... looking for a few rings? I mean, didn't your wife bring several different ones, for each night of the week, when she came there in the first place? ???
 
Tom_in_CA said:
The few random cars they pull aside to search, trust me, they're looking for drugs, not a few gold rings or gold coins. Now I suppose if you had your entire back of your SUV filled with gold bars ........... there might be an issue. But other than that, they're looking for illegal immigrants, drugs, etc....

Not sure why ships or planes would be any different. I mean ......... is someone really going through your underwear bag, shaving kit, etc... looking for a few rings? I mean, didn't your wife bring several different ones, for each night of the week, when she came there in the first place? ???





If i had a suv full of gold bars, I would be headed to a bank off shore, not back to the states.....LOL

I have been through several customs for reentering the country, mainly from cruise and return trips from Philippines, just filled out and declared what I bought, no big deal. Wife has 10 fingers, that covers 10 rings just there.....LOL, I can account for another 8 easily too...LOL.

I would just carry them in, no big deal......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom