Carry options

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have A RUGER Silver redhawk 44 magnum.I thought i no longer needed it. Now after watching Youtube about trail walkers and horse back riders in the west I am sure I still should have a big gun. for me and my wifes protection from even wild ANIMALS !!
I plan to ride out west again this year and want to be safe on the trails with my horses

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to have A RUGER Silver redhawk 44 magnum.I thought i no longer needed it. Now after watching Youtube about trail walkers and horse back riders in the west I am sure I still should have a big gun. for me and my wifes protection from even wild ANIMALS !!
I plan to ride out west again this year and want to be safe on the trails with my horses
I'm in possession of a Blackhawk I'll leave off shooting a while.
A previous .44 knocked my light frame around too much and we parted ways. During one range time on one shot my wheelchair popped a wheelie ,the side gate on the revolver popped open, and my shooting stick hit the ground.
I'm confident a .44 mag. would about rock me off a horse. I'm missing a leg at the hip and it would be hard enough staying atop without shooting.

Went to a GP 100 .357 mag. to compliment a .38 stubbie and a 77/.357 rifle.
Changed the grips away from the stock "dog turd" though they were not real bad. Just weren't perfect for me.
Much better accuracy not flinching. l.o.l..
Rides fine in a tanker style holster.( El Paso Saddlery built the holster.)

But if a .44 suits you , enjoy!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last count I had 10 different holsters for my EDC S&W Shield 9.

In populated areas because of the squatting and bending might "print" I prefer a shoulder rig under a light vest for most detecting. My favorite is a horizontal Safariland 7053 with a thumb/button release and retains the pistol no matter how far or fast I lean forward. Though if it's "sweater weather" I sometimes wear a light hoodie (always the full zipper front type).

I just got an Urban Carry that is a "deep tuck" pouch in front of my hip. Jury is still out on that for detecting. It's OK with looser pants - like pleated Dockers, but with jeans and trying to squat down it can be a little intrusive.

In the woods or fields anything goes. A high-ride OWB rig and an untucked shirt.

Blewfur

Jan 12, 2021
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Nokta Makro Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last count I had 10 different holsters for my EDC S&W Shield 9.

In populated areas because of the squatting and bending might "print" I prefer a shoulder rig under a light vest for most detecting. My favorite is a horizontal Safariland 7053 with a thumb/button release and retains the pistol no matter how far or fast I lean forward. Though if it's "sweater weather" I sometimes wear a light hoodie (always the full zipper front type).

I just got an Urban Carry that is a "deep tuck" pouch in front of my hip. Jury is still out on that for detecting. It's OK with looser pants - like pleated Dockers, but with jeans and trying to squat down it can be a little intrusive.

In the woods or fields anything goes. A high-ride OWB rig and an untucked shirt.
For those that carry concealed while detecting - What concealed carry method/holster do you use. With all the stuff most of use carry (tool bag/trash bag etc...) and the constant up and down, what is working for you.
When I carry, it is one of several 9 mm with defensive rounds. I carry in an inside the waistband holster. Here in Texas, I don’t have to have it concealed so I don’t worry about printing but I do try to keep it out of site.

There are places I don’t carry, but try to maintain situational awareness in those places.

I hope I never need to use it, but I am going to protect myself and my family!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions