Carvings or Graffiti?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: Rebel, i think i see what you mean about the butterfly on the rails, BUT, how do you read it, or in other words, what did the carver tell you in doing that? is it distance, direction, ( not likely distance the way they fly ) walk softly or something else??
thanks for helping.:coffee2: 10claw

Railroads "PRE-DATE" the CONFEDERATE WAR; @ 1858 or so. BOTH North & South used 'em. "Butterfly" tells me that "we" should travel light as a Butterfly, as the "cache" is near; PROBABLY "post"-CONFEDERATE WAR. Based on the "Rails", I would check in the direction that the "Rails" are going, like a "sharpened point" (to the left)... the face is ALSO looking in the direction. Based on not seeing sun shadows, it must be EAST to WEST sun transit. If the tree is in Botetourt County, Virginia... "IT" is pointing SOUTH, towards Roanoke County, Virginia, where SEVERAL "Ore Mines" were, near the Blue Ridge Parkway (WEST-Side). Right leg fell into one of the "air-vent" once, up to my crotch; it was in February (several years, ago), and was afraid that I was gonna wake up one of those Va. Black Bears... HA! "Google" Spec Mines Roads.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Stoneman's cavalry came,and tore up the tracks again"

The Union destroyed many RR rails (Sherman's neckties) during the War of Northern Aggression,and the Confederancy also tore up the rails of RRs that were not essential to the Cause for the iron.Post Civil War,the Union began standardizing RR gauges,and laid new tracks throughout the South,including Virginia.If "post" war,does the carving relate to old or new rail lines?Research Confederate RR maps,Union 1870's RR maps,and current railine maps.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Can't tell by size of rails on trees; I DO know that the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad went through Lynchburg, Va. (on today's Blackwater Creek Hike/Bike Trail), and on through Bedford County, over the Gap into Big Lick (Roanoke, Va.) then south to Bristol, Va./Tennessee (over that river). It would be the Norfolk & Western "Line" today, I think.

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel, ECS, and 10claw.I'm still buried in snow and can't make it back to the site but I've been doing some major r&i and am becoming more and more convinced every day that I might be on to something. But I don't want to go about spouting I'm on to KGC treasure (or something similar). I will definitely take a look at the CSA railroads and union railroads. Might be able to get some information from Norfolk southern railroad. Purchased a couple books to keep me busy as well. Again, thank you all for your valuable insights and knowledge.

MMSS

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel, ECS, and 10claw.I'm still buried in snow and can't make it back to the site but I've been doing some major r&i and am becoming more and more convinced every day that I might be on to something. But I don't want to go about spouting I'm on to KGC treasure (or something similar). I will definitely take a look at the CSA railroads and union railroads. Might be able to get some information from Norfolk southern railroad. Purchased a couple books to keep me busy as well. Again, thank you all for your valuable insights and knowledge.

MMSS

I have found one of the best places to get information on old RR lines are the model RR clubs and groups. They have some great magazines, and some of those guys will build lines based on sat pics and photos, pretty neat. It also pays to see if you have any type of switch yard, if you do, you will find a few of the old timers that may tell you all you want to know over a cup of coffee.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

MMSS

YW! HH!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have found one of the best places to get information on old RR lines are the model RR clubs and groups. They have some great magazines, and some of those guys will build lines based on sat pics and photos, pretty neat. It also pays to see if you have any type of switch yard, if you do, you will find a few of the old timers that may tell you all you want to know over a cup of coffee.

Around here, (Lynchburg, Va. area over to Roanoke, Va.), it would be Steam Valley Railroaders or something like that; WONDERFUL "mag" that I look at when in Lynchburg, Va. library.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey musicmaker. I once heard of a guy who went looking at railroad bridges and tressels Just on the outskirts of key towns. That would be towns with known castles. He would find coded information left in the mason work on those old bridges.

Once you get your track worked out, this is something you might keep in mind.
Another thing to remember is the growth of towns. Some towns just die off and become ghost towns. Others stay about the same population wise. And others have grown so much that what was once considered out in the country, is now downtown business district. Just thought I would put a drop in your bucket.

Pinwheel

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment-2.jpeg to the right of the "SOS" appears to be a bird. Possibly an owl. Can't tell if my eyes are perceiving what I unconsciously want them to see. Thanks for the drop pinwheel. Soon enough we'll have the bucket full and know for sure whether it is or it ain't leading to something. My gut is telling me we are.

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Union destroyed many RR rails (Sherman's neckties) during the War of Northern Aggression,and the Confederancy also tore up the rails of RRs that were not essential to the Cause for the iron.Post Civil War,the Union began standardizing RR gauges,and laid new tracks throughout the South,including Virginia.If "post" war,does the carving relate to old or new rail lines?Research Confederate RR maps,Union 1870's RR maps,and current railine maps.

I like the heading of this post, btw. One if my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
View attachment 946225 to the right of the "SOS" appears to be a bird. Possibly an owl. Can't tell if my eyes are perceiving what I unconsciously want them to see. Thanks for the drop pinwheel. Soon enough we'll have the bucket full and know for sure whether it is or it ain't leading to something. My gut is telling me we are.

HA! I see a HEART! And a "J", "O", "S"; Jonathan Swift's SILVER MINES...? :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: :hello2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if swift had anything around here, but my knowledge on that matter is very limited. When I first saw it I thought Joseph Orville Shelby. I think its actually an "e" in that middle spot. When I was looking at it it looked like an uppercase E was the intended letter.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm not sure if swift had anything around here, but my knowledge on that matter is very limited. When I first saw it I thought Joseph Orville Shelby. I think its actually an "e" in that middle spot. When I was looking at it it looked like an uppercase E was the intended letter.

LOTS of LEGENDS of Jonathan Swift (& Silver Mines) in SW Virginia... COULD be General "Jo"; COULD be "J" &/+ "S" within a HEART!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few more pictures. the butterfly on rails is on the west side of this particular tree. on the south side is this arrow (on the tree itself it is pointing up, not left like the picture suggests) DSCN3243.JPG . this next one looks kinda like an eagle but kinda like an elephant since the "beak is elongated" it's on the north side of a tree that is west of the one with the butterfly and the beak/trunk is pointing at the butterly. DSCN3263.JPG on the west side of the tree with this animal is this DSCN3265.JPG . is this last one a map or is a symbol indicating that something is in water? What do you pros think?

OP
OP
M
Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's an elephant then it has no tusks. There are a few times in the old testament that speak of elephants but if I remember correctly it is about King Solomon receiving shipments of ivory and gold and silver, etc from the port of Ophir.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I once heard of a guy who went looking at railroad bridges and tressels Just on the outskirts of key towns...

Once you get your track worked out, this is something you might keep in mind.
Another thing to remember is the growth of towns. Some towns just die off and become ghost towns. Others stay about the same population wise. And others have grown so much that what was once considered out in the country, is now downtown business district...
Before the Union invaded New Bern,NC,the people buried their valuables in iron cooking pots beside the RR tracks in front of the NCRR trestle that crossed the Neuse River,because the Northern aggressors were known looters.Most was recovered after the War by their rightful owners,but the treasure legend of 20 iron cooking pots filled with gold buried next to RR tracks grew from this event.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the original prospectors that we hunt with retrieved and iron pot, dutch oven type. It had only a few coins scattered beside it that had been dropped by whoever retrieved it first. Still....a very exciting find.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread