What's new

Cashier had to call the manager

gordon and tanner

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
575
Reaction score
590
Golden Thread
0
Location
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped by a Kmart store and bought a few items. I paid for part of the bill with $7 worth of half dollars, the rest with cash. As she was putting the money in the cash register she called the manager and asked, "Do we take 50 cent pieces?" I Thought it was kind of funny that she had to ask if they accepted US coins.

Any one else have any funny stories about paying for things with halves or ikes?

Gordon
 
Upvote 0
She's a shining (?) example of today's educational system.
 
That's funny. I spend my half dollars for small items like candy bars and such. One time a young cashier lady stood there and stared at the two halves for at least 30 seconds before she dropped them in the tray. :icon_scratch:
 
I posted this about 5 months ago, went to some fast food place and the bill was $5.35, plunked down enough to cover the bill with 50 cent pieces. The girl behind the counter asked, what are these? I said 50cent pieces, her, who makes them? Who makes them, the US government makes them! How much are they worth? 50cents I said again, she said I don't think we can take them, I said why not? The money drawer doesn't have a place for them. The manager told her to take them, as he wanted the sale....
 
Hey , even bank tellers now are unaware of halves ! I had a credit union teller call me today
in response to my request to purchase two boxes of halves ($1000.) she informed me that
a box was $1000 - one box - I told her that in my experience a box was nomally $500. , but
I was fine if they now come $1000. to a box - I just wasn't familiar with that format . Have any
of you had a box of halves that contained $1000. ??? I have purchased bags that were $1000.
Argentium.
 
weighit said:
I posted this about 5 months ago, went to some fast food place and the bill was $5.35, plunked down enough to cover the bill with 50 cent pieces. The girl behind the counter asked, what are these? I said 50cent pieces, her, who makes them? Who makes them, the US government makes them! How much are they worth? 50cents I said again, she said I don't think we can take them, I said why not? The money drawer doesn't have a place for them. The manager told her to take them, as he wanted the sale....

Who makes them? LOL
 
A few years back, my total at Walmart was $15.50. I gave the lady a ten, a five, and a clad Kennedy half. The cashier (who I know had been there for years) tried to give me 50 cents change. I had a hard time convincing her that it was a half dollar coin, and not a dollar coin.
 
dave5710 said:
A few years back, my total at Walmart was $15.50. I gave the lady a ten, a five, and a clad Kennedy half. The cashier (who I know had been there for years) tried to give me 50 cents change. I had a hard time convincing her that it was a half dollar coin, and not a dollar coin.
That has been my experience as well. HH Mark
 
FingerGrime said:
weighit said:
I posted this about 5 months ago, went to some fast food place and the bill was $5.35, plunked down enough to cover the bill with 50 cent pieces. The girl behind the counter asked, what are these? I said 50cent pieces, her, who makes them? Who makes them, the US government makes them! How much are they worth? 50cents I said again, she said I don't think we can take them, I said why not? The money drawer doesn't have a place for them. The manager told her to take them, as he wanted the sale....

Who makes them? LOL

You should have told her "CHINA". They make everything else. :laughing7:
 
I went to the supermarket the other day went to pay for the items. I payed her in halves which was about $7 she was so happy to get them like she never seen any before. So she asked if I had anymore so I said ya and dumped $10 more made her day and mind :laughing7:
 
weighit said:
I posted this about 5 months ago, went to some fast food place and the bill was $5.35, plunked down enough to cover the bill with 50 cent pieces. The girl behind the counter asked, what are these? I said 50cent pieces, her, who makes them? Who makes them, the US government makes them! How much are they worth? 50cents I said again, she said I don't think we can take them, I said why not? The money drawer doesn't have a place for them. The manager told her to take them, as he wanted the sale....
no, u should of told her u make them in ur spare time, in ur mothers basement :laughing9:

once, i paid $70.00, thats right $70.00 in UNrolled halves to toni & guy hair dressers, and they were all annoyed, and didnt know what to do with them...then another cashier person walks out from a back room and was all confused, and thought we (me and the other cashier like person) were dealing w/ pirates treasure or something :laughing9:
but, nonetheless, the took them :laughing9:
keep it up and hh!
 
EastKyMiner said:
I went to the supermarket the other day went to pay for the items. I payed her in halves which was about $7 she was so happy to get them like she never seen any before. So she asked if I had anymore so I said ya and dumped $10 more made her day and mind :laughing7:

This is another way to dump small amounts of halves. I do it all the time. With the perception they are rare/valuable, because they are hardly seen, merchants will hoard them; and they'll never see the light of day again.
 
Yeah I've run into all these scenarios myself. I try to spend as much as i can in halves especially when on a road trip. I'll save a few wrappers and reroll searched halves and use for fast food purchases and gas. I've had people tell me they couldn't accept them or not believe they were real, more so from the youngsters than older folks. Many of them think they're new dollar coins and try to give me change accordingly. They really go bonkers when I give them a combination of Ikes, Kennedys, Susan Bs and Sacagewas!
 
One of my favorites is

cashier: "wow what are these?
me: "Fifty cent pieces"
cashier: "How much are they worth?"
me: "uh fifty cents"
 
Slightly off topic, but ask a young kid at McDonald's or somewhere like that if they "Accept correct change without identification." (Ask strait faced, no smiling or laughing.)

The results are scary. I used to live in a no sales tax state, so an item on the dollar menu was actualy a dollar. I was refused service once because I told them I forgot my ID (I left hungry but it was funny), and another time I got the girl to take 5 $1 bills to another register and give me a five so I could pay her without using exact change.
 
I went into a convenience store last winter and put a few items on the counter. The girl behind the register told me she couldn't sell them to me. I asked why not and she said her computer was down. I asked if she could get into the till and she replied that she could. I said so what's the problem. She looked perplexed and said, "How will I know how much change to give you"? Schools no longer teach kids how to count change! I've seen it a dozen times. Monty
 
This just goes to show how little the half dollar has been used in general circulation for the past 30-40+ years. Its really not the cashiers' fault or even stupidity on their part. Its very possible - likely even - that a non-coin collecting person younger than 30 years old has never seen a half dollar, or even know of their existence. Of course they're going to be confused and not know what to do. I am 40 years old and have not seen a half dollar in general circulation since I was a kid, and even then it was just a few times.
 
oh this sounds familiar. I actually had one cashier say that it was not currancy until I proved other wise. I love the reactions on people's faces when I pay with Ike dollars or halves. Some get so excited. I want to get a ton of two dollar bills just to buy stuff with them. Fun Stuff.

Golden Silver
 
Had a young cashier ask me one time if they were real !!
 
I havent had that problem with halfs but I have trying to spend $2 bills.

I keep some in my wallet in case I go over at the grocery store & for tips.

They always stare at it, turning it over and over, not knowing what to do. No slot for it in their drawer and all & I guess there is no $2 button to push on their register.

One girl asked me if it was real & the older guy behind me in line told her it was so she reluctantly took it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom