What's new

Cashier had to call the manager

gordon and tanner

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
575
Reaction score
590
Golden Thread
0
Location
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped by a Kmart store and bought a few items. I paid for part of the bill with $7 worth of half dollars, the rest with cash. As she was putting the money in the cash register she called the manager and asked, "Do we take 50 cent pieces?" I Thought it was kind of funny that she had to ask if they accepted US coins.

Any one else have any funny stories about paying for things with halves or ikes?

Gordon
 
Upvote 0
Try paying for $15 in gas with 30 penny rolls.

I welcomed the cashier to open and check the rolls. A sense of confidence is always welcome.. Those rolls probably contained $15.02 cents.

Other times when spending penny rolls I just spend a few for say a coffee, etc.. And, most cashier WELCOME a few penny rolls. Lots of times they thank me and say bring all you want.

However, all the time, I get people reading the half dollars I spend.. they ask ask me " how much is this" I tell them "fifty cents"..
 
And LOL at the guy at MC.D's messin with the cashier... SHAME ON YOU!

However, I do make it a habit to watch the drawer as it opens for the cashier to give me change... When I see som eextra nickle or penny rolls in there, I always ask if it's not too much trouble if I could buy one.. This is how I scored my first Lady Liberty cent in the wild( also known as an Indian Head cent)
 
Some have called managers.. I love it when they have to read the back of the coin to find the amount. They stare at the back of it reading "Half Dollar".. it's funny. It's usually some foreign person that does this. Some stores that hire all cheap foreign labor will always have people asking managers. People at first may think that halves are rare and they want to keep them but this is until I show up again and again paying in halves. At that point, they realize that they are not rare.

Last week I was at an Arby's drive thru and the lady saw my box of halves and said "wow, that's a lot of quarters" to which I said "they're not quarters, they're halves". She was shocked and so confused she didn't know what to say. I'm doing cents now more too. I went to Costco last week and spent $17.00 in Zincolns in rewrapped clear plastic rolls. They were cool with it. I try to use a mix of halves and Zincoln rolls everywhere I have to spend money & they have a cash register. Places like Costco or Walmart are great since they have a ton of customers of which they need change.
 
It would be really funny if Zincolns became a zombie slayer weapon of the far distant future. I'm not talking star trek either. Zinc has important medicinal benefits. Which goes to say that ingesting even one penny is stupid. However. As a metal, zinc could be the next gold, in 3045.
By then, copper will be so scarce it will be worth what gold is. And gold will be able to be manufactured in laboratories using the feces of a rare Micrope on Jupiter's moon Europa.
Of course, Betting on all this happening, one must believe in some sort of karmic reincarnation. Since if what goes around comes around, than where does the stuff go that is sucked into the giant black hole at the cneter of our milky way galaxy?
 
i have one but it involves the "new" look our bills have now. i was in line in a bank waiting to see if they had anything for me when this foreign guy in the front of the line starts yelling at the teller that he refuses to take these fake bills. :icon_scratch: he was carrying on and the guards were starting to get upset. before they moved in to throw him out i asked him what he was talking about. he was a little hard to understand but what i got was that he thought the new bills were fake. only until i pulled several new fives and tens out of my pocket and showed him and the lady in front of me did the same did he understand they were real.
 
I once was at a certain sub sandwich shop, not to be named of course, and i had taken my box of halves in with me to search while I ate. Anyways when i got up to the cash register I pulled out a searched roll of halves and offered it to the cashier. She of course asks "What are these?" to which i reply "Half dollars". She didnt know if she could accept them, but then an older gentlemen behind me convinced her that they were in fact legal tender.

But the funniest exchange of the whole even was that this same older gentlemen proceeded to offer me 2x face value for each half dollar I had in my hands, which at this point was around half a roll. So I gladly obliged him with a smile and agreed. He then says "You know sonny, you should really keep any of these suckers you find, you cant get them at all anymore." I smirked and politely replied "Oh yes you can, I have about a thousand of them sittin on my table over there."
I followed his eyes as they peered over to my table, and then got bigger than anything i ever saw.
So i just smiled and sat down to eat my Cold Cut Trio :)
 
It never fails to amuse me the reactions I get when paying for things with half dollars. Young people often give me change as if they are dollar coins. Many get excited and call over their fellow young workers to see the amazing 50 cent pieces. Almost daily I get questioned about them in detail. It is fairly obvious that schools do not educate regarding these coins any more.
 
It really is black or white in terms of halves. Either you love them & want them because you don't see them often or you hate them because you hate change and the bigger the coin the more cumbersome they are. Just my two cents.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom