What's new

Casino hunting - just like old times

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile - years actually - since I've posted any casino hunting exploits. A few factors contributed to that; lack of time, coin-op machines disappearing, changing life priorities, etc.

Today was a pleasant trip down memory lane. Stopped by perhaps the last downtown casino with coin-op nickel machines and went thru around $150. I've assembled complete rolls of all pre-1960 dates/mintmarks that have a mintage of over 10 million, so most of those dates get tossed back, making keepers that much tougher to find.

First thing I noticed while searching (well...playing a little too :laughing7:) is the staggering amount of coins that were minted out of focus. Okay, who am I kidding, the old eyes aren't what they used to be. Seriously though, pre-60's are a lot less common than I remember. Then I realized billions more modern ones have caused that.

But I managed to find three keepers:

IMG_2588.webpIMG_2590.webp
1943-P silver, 1941-S (Large S variety), 1979-S Type 1 impaired proof

...and since I keep records of this stuff, that was my first silver since 4/11/14 and the first impaired proof since 9/30/09. Geez, has it been that long?

Can't say I'll do this on regular basis again, but this brought back some fond memories.
 
Upvote 0
Good to see you back out there Immy.

i too don't post (or hunt) like I used to back in the "glory days". Similar reasons as yours.

Regardless, great to see you out there again and wish you continued success.
 
Just like old times reading about your searches!
 
Wonderful to see your post again.

Like many of us, we were used to the good ol' days, and today's successes are too few and far between to make it worth our doing. But good to see old posters once in a while. My first time checking this board in a while myself, so surprised to see your post. keep at it.

Any half dollar machines still downtown with coins?
 
Good to see you post your finds again Immy. Oh, the memories.
 
Any half dollar machines still downtown with coins?

Yep. The same casino has at least a dozen coin-op 50 cent machines. None of them accept $100 bills though, so you have to pump in twenties. And they're located in a part of the casino where it's dimly lit, making it tough to date-check. Though silver seekers know the ring of silver in any light. :laughing7:
 
Sure do miss those coin-op machines our way as well (Reno). It just isn't the same anymore!!!:-[
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom