What's new

Catch up post - Nazi Belt Buckle, Large Cent, Buttons, etc

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
14,518
Golden Thread
4
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had much success the limited times I was able to get out this year. Over the last couple weeks, I was able to get out to an old house and a field I have pounded for years. The best find is an early (1920s/30s) Nazi supporter buckle that most likely belonged to the German American Bund prior to the start of WWII. After the war started, people hid or destroyed anything that could connect then to this organization. This buckle was about a foot deep.
 

Attachments

  • Buckle ID.webp
    Buckle ID.webp
    87.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Nazi Buckle dirty back.webp
    Nazi Buckle dirty back.webp
    473.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Nazi Buckle, back.webp
    Nazi Buckle, back.webp
    817 KB · Views: 117
  • Nazi Buckle, dirty front.webp
    Nazi Buckle, dirty front.webp
    332.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Nazi Buckle, front.webp
    Nazi Buckle, front.webp
    780.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 1830 LC.webp
    1830 LC.webp
    207.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Bird Button.webp
    Bird Button.webp
    397.1 KB · Views: 100
  • All.webp
    All.webp
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Buttons and Coins.webp
    Buttons and Coins.webp
    774.9 KB · Views: 100
  • All.webp
    All.webp
    597.7 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 33
That buckle actually pre-dates the Nazis, but it's still millitary - US Military, that's right. What you have found is a rare Pre-WWII belt buckle from the US 45th Infantry Division, which used a swastika, then a tribute to Native Americans who also used that symbol, as their Infantry Division insignia. The 45th changed their insignia to a Native American Eagle when WWII started, obviously so to disassociate from the Naiz Swastika.
Screenshot_20251126-163743_Reddit.webp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)
 
Last edited:
I haven't had much success the limited times I was able to get out this year. Over the last couple weeks, I was able to get out to an old house and a field I have pounded for years. The best find is an early (1920s/30s) Nazi supporter buckle that most likely belonged to the German American Bund prior to the start of WWII. After the war started, people hid or destroyed anything that could connect then to this organization. This buckle was about a foot deep.
Nice find, may not be Nazi....
 
The 45th Division was formed from Nat Guard units from the SW US. My uncle was in that division and ended up in the 180th infantry during WW2. He was captured at Anzio and spent the remainder of the war in a prison camp. After the war, he was part of the occupation forces. He received both the prisoner of war medal and an occupiers medal. He went from prisoner to jailer!🤣 I put together this frame of his medals. Just above his bronze star is his prison camp ID tag. He stayed in the service after the war and attained the rank of First Sergeant. He then joined the military as a civilian employee and worked at the Pentagon until he retired.
IMG_1727.webp
 
Last edited:
Great job on the research !

The Boy Scouts also had Swastika's on Good Luck Tokens / Medallions before the War.
You see them posted in the Detecting Forums now and then - I'd like to find one some day.
 
That buckle actually pre-dates the Nazis, but it's still millitary - US Military, that's right. What you have found is a rare Pre-WWII belt buckle from the US 45th Infantry Division, which used a swastika, then a tribute to Native Americans who also used that symbol, as their Infantry Division insignia. The 45th changed their insignia to a Native American Eagle when WWII started, obviously so to disassociate from the Naiz Swastika.
View attachment 2235146
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)
Thanks! That is very interesting, and I will have to research that further. Others I have seen on line have claimed they were Nazi supporter buckles from the 1920s/30s.
 
Great job on the research !

The Boy Scouts also had Swastika's on Good Luck Tokens / Medallions before the War.
You see them posted in the Detecting Forums now and then - I'd like to find one some day.
I have found several early 1900s good luck tokens with swastikas.
 
That buckle actually pre-dates the Nazis, but it's still millitary - US Military, that's right. What you have found is a rare Pre-WWII belt buckle from the US 45th Infantry Division, which used a swastika, then a tribute to Native Americans who also used that symbol, as their Infantry Division insignia. The 45th changed their insignia to a Native American Eagle when WWII started, obviously so to disassociate from the Naiz Swastika.
View attachment 2235146
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)
Since reading your reply I did a little research into the 45th infantry division's use of the swastika and all I've been able to find is that they used it as a shoulder patch until the Nazis came into power, when they switched to a native American Thunderbird patch. I can find no reference to their use of a swastika belt buckle. I guess I'll remain skeptical until I see a soldier wearing one.
 
Since reading your reply I did a little research into the 45th infantry division's use of the swastika and all I've been able to find is that they used it as a shoulder patch until the Nazis came into power, when they switched to a native American Thunderbird patch. I can find no reference to their use of a swastika belt buckle. I guess I'll remain skeptical until I see a soldier wearing one.
Did you look up how they are presented? (Vertical/Horizontal compared to 45°). Swastikas are at a 45° angle.
 
I have found several early 1900s good luck tokens with swastikas.
Morning Steve. I am not sure but I do know the Boy Scouts used to use a emblem something like the Nazi's did . I Found a couplke of them in my years of detecting. I looked for mine but i could not find them YET .!! I am not saying yours in a boy scouts one. I just remember they look someone like yours
 
Here's website that has many Boy Scouts "Swastikas" shaped awards/badges which were started around 1908 but no longer used after the start of WW2, but there are no buckles shown.

The "Boy Scouts coins" weren't issued by the Boy Scouts, they were issued by companies for advertising, mainly the "Excelsior Shoe Co".

 
Last edited:
Good posting AU I do not know for sure. I just knew the boy scouts used that design before the Nazi's. When the Nazi's started using it the boy scouts stopped using it
 
Good posting AU I do not know for sure. I just knew the boy scouts used that design before the Nazi's. When the Nazi's started using it the boy scouts stopped using it
That symbol was used for 100s of years before the Nazis used it, it was a Good Luck symbol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom