Jun 15, 2007

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard the same story about the cave being around a peach orchard close to Guntersville Alabama. Difference being they blindfolded the owner and showed him the cave holding the gold and it was "enough to shoe every horse in the state" but he wouldn't split it with them and he could never find it again on his own.

Another tale is along the same lines is the one about Redbone Cave in Colbert Co.

Last edited:

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted this before looking for suggestions and have yet to find an answer. I live in Middle TN. The mud mound and the symbols etched upon it are located in a small cave just off the Duck River. Any ideas????

Being English letters and the exact lines of the rocks and floor, I would investigate if the cave had been mined at some point around the Civil War for saltpeter.

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
This is from the same area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 480

Gammol Cranic

Aug 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard this same story, almost, from my grandfather, and he never read any books about it. This is in Johnson County, near Watauga Lake.

Back around 1918, an old Indian (elderly) named White Cloud walked in here from Oklahoma. He stayed with my grandfathers family and took a liking to my grandpa, who was a boy of about 8 back then (born 1910). One day, he took my grandpa up on Dry Run mountain and told him to sit on a big rock, as he wasnt allowed to follow him all the way. The old man was gone a few minutes and came back and announced, "My peoples silver is still there and safe".

I wrote a letter to the Cherokee Nation about 20 years ago and told them about it, but there never was any reply.

In later years, there has been some interest in the land, and it has changed hands. But its snaky up there. Ive seen some pretty big rattlers, so its par for the course for Appalachia.

Let me add (now that I found my glasses), that there have been some antiquities found since them, and one fellow assured me that a very old Spanish helmet was one of the things recovered, as well as a matching breastplate. My grandfathers family was the first Anglo family to ever own the land, via a colonial land grant, and its still in the family today, 10 generations later.

And we didnt put that stuff there. (My kin would have sold it off long ago if they had).

But it must have been there since the time of the very early Spanish arrival. And all of this stuff is just about a mile from where the Chisca used to have a village, before the Spaniards wiped them out around 1568 or so.

I think the story with the silver was that the Spaniards worked the mines for a few years, but the Indians finally rose up and slaughtered most of them and took the silver. And they took the silver and burried it around the former town site in a religious ceremony to commemorate the dead.

And that stache was what White Cloud came to check on. Of course, the story was handed down through the generations of my kin, but we never did mess with the stuff out of respect. Kin is just about everything in Appalachia, right under religion. And we can respect that the Indians were respecting thier dead kin, so we never messed with that treasure.

I wouldnt have said anything about it , except that an outside bunch of developers is a comming in and liable to dig it all up and run off with it. Somebody should do a proper and legal archaeological dig and document the history of it, if the outsiders aint already run off with it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions