What's new

cellar hole find - doorknob looking thing?

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,931
Reaction score
3,183
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this around some cellar holes...have no idea what it could be. some I have shown think it may have been a top? i have absolutely no idea. Any suggestions welcome.
 

Attachments

  • 2012-03-13_16-49-06_394.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-06_394.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 616
  • 2012-03-13_16-49-15_928.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-15_928.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 604
  • 2012-03-13_16-49-22_863.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-22_863.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 676
  • 2012-03-13_16-49-06_394.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-06_394.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 600
  • 2012-03-13_16-49-15_928.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-15_928.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 2012-03-13_16-49-22_863.webp
    2012-03-13_16-49-22_863.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 674
I was going to say bedknob. But it does look like a spinning top (circa 1880).

top_177.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Could the top come off? Shine a light in broken area - any residue inside?
I was guessing inkwell, but I'm not sure about stub on bottom, unless to secure it into a stand?

I used to throw my dad's old top, doesn't look like the right shape, and why the hole in the top? HHmmmmm?
 
Upvote 0
Tigger said:
Could the top come off? Shine a light in broken area - any residue inside?
I was guessing inkwell, but I'm not sure about stub on bottom, unless to secure it into a stand?

I used to throw my dad's old top, doesn't look like the right shape, and why the hole in the top? HHmmmmm?

top doesn't come off; doesn't seem to be anything on the inside.
 
Upvote 0
I too think it is a doorknob. The flange looking thing with the hole in it is where the other knob attached to it through a wood door. That is my guess. Tennessee digger
 
Upvote 0
Not a doorknob with a hole/post at both ends... best bet is a brass bed frame (or similar) decoration or finial, IMO.
 
Upvote 0
It does look like a top with the hole being were a threaded rod or spinner went.
 
Upvote 0
Doorknob , the shaft has been mashed out through the knob, last pic notice its off center because the shaft is tilted.

I think its a non turning knob, just a pull for door or drawer because the shaft is not square and theres no set screw.
 
Upvote 0
Maxwell's top (circa early 20th C.)?

85.jpg
maxwelltop.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom