South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the term neutralized better captures the state of dirt at this cellar hole than ? hunted out. Here is the last handful of finds including expanding the site beyond the consistent period relics, 1770-1870.

IMG_1202.jpg

I don?t usually keep my finds separated by site, but here is a group shot of the stuff that popped at this site, about 16 hours of swinging. Crazy how many spoon frags are dropped at these old sites.

IMG_1203.jpg

On a more cautious somber note, a man and wife were struck by a falling limb last week on a hiking trail at my local park where I have found most of my detecting finds. The woman died and husband is paralyzed. Sort of shook me to the core as I have spent hundreds of hours in those woods. How many widow makers have I walked under, too many to count. Live life to the fullest every day my friends.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 16

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Illustrates why you should always tell someone where you?re going and when you?re going to get back. We have a huge problem with dead Ash trees because of an invasive bug where I am. The towns have been cutting them down so this doesn?t happen to people but private land is different.

Great finds btw!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice site for sure Thad.

Well worth the efforts to hunt it down.

I should be out this weekend wife works on Saturday this week.

Might get out of work early Thursday so hope to get out.

Jer

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a nice site while it lasted Thad. Too bad you couldn't pull an early silver out of there. Go back next spring after the snows melted and you might be able to pull a few more keepers. I think 1770 might be a stretch for the start of activity there though. Maybe 1810 at the earliest.

I saw that on the news about the couple struck by the tree limb. Really sad. That's why I try to avoid the woods on windy days.

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great spot!! We were on the porch one afternoon when a tree fell across our picnic table in the edge of the yard. In a couple of hours we would have been down there!!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice site for sure Thad.

Well worth the efforts to hunt it down.

I should be out this weekend wife works on Saturday this week.

Might get out of work early Thursday so hope to get out.

Jer

Thx Jer! We should try to do a group hunt soon.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a nice site while it lasted Thad. Too bad you couldn't pull an early silver out of there. Go back next spring after the snows melted and you might be able to pull a few more keepers. I think 1770 might be a stretch for the start of activity there though. Maybe 1810 at the earliest.

I saw that on the news about the couple struck by the tree limb. Really sad. That's why I try to avoid the woods on windy days.

Thx Steve! The silver Washington had me excited when I saw the quarter sized silver in the hole, about 300? from the cellar hole. Thought for sure it would be at least Seated. The famous homestead in this park was settled in 1772. With all of the pewter spoons and redware style pottery strewn around I was thinking same period, but not a single tombac. You?re probably correct with the later settlement date.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great producing site! Trees are crazy. I was hiking and a tree fell literally right behind me. It was on a common path for people to take too! It was on a nice Spring day. You never knoiw!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henceforth you shall be known as "The Neutralizer" :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread