What's new

Toasted CT copper and a few relics

rhedden

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2003
Messages
393
Reaction score
845
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore & Nokta Makro Simplex
Yesterday's hunt took me back to the site where I found the 1827 large cent and 1864-L Indian cent a few weeks back. The plan was to head up the mountain on a cart path that I thought would lead to another cellar hole. When I got there, the "cellar hole" I spotted on Lidar was actually a waste dump from a logging operation, with empty drums of bar & chain oil that someone had partially buried with an excavator many years ago.
There was no cellar anywhere up there, so my aching legs hiked down the stone wall to the creek and back to the bottom. No sooner did I get there than I realized I lost my $50 jacket somewhere up the top. :'( I took a big gulp of water, stashed my detecting gear in some ferns, and retraced my entire route up the mountain and back. Ouch. Found the jacket, which is probably the find of the day!

At the bottom, I searched in vain around the prominent cellar I have been hunting, locating only a "D" buckle and a couple of rotten pewter buttons. A solid 73 signal on a logging road that passes through there turned out to be exactly what I thought it was: a Lincoln cent from the 1970s.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I decided to hunt along the creek bank on the way back to the car. There were two additional cellars in there somewhere, both razed by logging crews several decades ago. At some point, I found a suspicious depression in the ground right next to the creek, with some inlaid stones, that was not demolished by the loggers. Ice house perhaps? I quickly got a jumpy 84 signal that turned out to be my second Connecticut copper of the year at about 3.5 inches deep. It's toasted, but identifiable. After seven hours of hunting in the heat, I was not going home without a coin! The new site is overgrown with tall weeds, so it will give me a place to hunt early next spring after the snow beats down the vegetation.

k8bCGrUl.jpg


xEDnaXIl.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Connecticut obverse.webp
    Connecticut obverse.webp
    830 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 16
Yesterday's hunt took me back to the site where I found the 1827 large cent and 1864-L Indian cent a few weeks back. The plan was to head up the mountain on a cart path that I thought would lead to another cellar hole. When I got there, the "cellar hole" I spotted on Lidar was actually a waste dump from a logging operation, with empty drums of bar & chain oil that someone had partially buried with an excavator many years ago.
There was no cellar anywhere up there, so my aching legs hiked down the stone wall to the creek and back to the bottom. No sooner did I get there than I realized I lost my $50 jacket somewhere up the top. :'( I took a big gulp of water, stashed my detecting gear in some ferns, and retraced my entire route up the mountain and back. Ouch. Found the jacket, which is probably the find of the day!

At the bottom, I searched in vain around the prominent cellar I have been hunting, locating only a "D" buckle and a couple of rotten pewter buttons. A solid 73 signal on a logging road that passes through there turned out to be exactly what I thought it was: a Lincoln cent from the 1970s.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I decided to hunt along the creek bank on the way back to the car. There were two additional houses in there somewhere, both razed by logging crews several decades ago. At some point, I found a suspicious depression in the ground right next to the creek, with some inlaid stones, that was not demolished by the loggers. Ice house perhaps? I quickly got a jumpy 84 signal that turned out to be my second Connecticut copper of the year at about 3.5 inches deep. It's toasted, but identifiable. After seven hours of hunting in the heat, I was not going home without a coin! The new site is overgrown with tall weeds, so it will give me a place to hunt early next spring after the snow beats down the vegetation.

k8bCGrUl.jpg


xEDnaXIl.jpg
We need a photo of "the find of the day" A.K.A. your coat!!
 
A big congrats on the Conn. Copper ! :icon_thumleft:
Any 1700's coin - in any condition is a great find !
 
Yesterday's hunt took me back to the site where I found the 1827 large cent and 1864-L Indian cent a few weeks back. The plan was to head up the mountain on a cart path that I thought would lead to another cellar hole. When I got there, the "cellar hole" I spotted on Lidar was actually a waste dump from a logging operation, with empty drums of bar & chain oil that someone had partially buried with an excavator many years ago.
There was no cellar anywhere up there, so my aching legs hiked down the stone wall to the creek and back to the bottom. No sooner did I get there than I realized I lost my $50 jacket somewhere up the top. :'( I took a big gulp of water, stashed my detecting gear in some ferns, and retraced my entire route up the mountain and back. Ouch. Found the jacket, which is probably the find of the day!

At the bottom, I searched in vain around the prominent cellar I have been hunting, locating only a "D" buckle and a couple of rotten pewter buttons. A solid 73 signal on a logging road that passes through there turned out to be exactly what I thought it was: a Lincoln cent from the 1970s.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I decided to hunt along the creek bank on the way back to the car. There were two additional houses in there somewhere, both razed by logging crews several decades ago. At some point, I found a suspicious depression in the ground right next to the creek, with some inlaid stones, that was not demolished by the loggers. Ice house perhaps? I quickly got a jumpy 84 signal that turned out to be my second Connecticut copper of the year at about 3.5 inches deep. It's toasted, but identifiable. After seven hours of hunting in the heat, I was not going home without a coin! The new site is overgrown with tall weeds, so it will give me a place to hunt early next spring after the snow beats down the vegetation.

k8bCGrUl.jpg


xEDnaXIl.jpg
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
You did outstanding :) Thank you for sharing with us
I love large cents
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom