Central/Southeastern Kansas Leads

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I posted this sometime back in theleads section but didn't get anyleads so thought I'd post it here to see if someone has any ideas.

Now that I'm about to retire and will have more time to MD I'm looking for some leads in central and southeastern Kansas. I have a close friend and he's extremely good at research so we're looking for something to work on together. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if anyone who lives in kansas will be willing to give up any leads. I have a few things that I'm researching but I might come across something and give you the lead.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few stories worth checking out:
1. A returning 49'er supposedly buried a cache of gold "along the Osage Trail", between Coffeyville and Baxter Springs. The "Osage Trail" is likely the Black Dog Trail, which roughly follows the route of US 169. Some sources say it was "on the riverbank", which could mean the Verdigris, Neosho, or Spring Rivers.

2. A detachment of 22 Confederate soldiers on their way to Colorado were attacked and massacred near Independence, KS, on the Verdigris River, where it is joined by Rebel Creek. This area is on private farmland, directly across the River from the City Park and Zoo. May be some relics, although the low-lying farmland is subject to flooding...hard to say what is left (or how deep) after 150+years.

3. The ancient Wichita village of Etzanoa is located at the present site of Arkansas City, KS. It was visited by the Spanish in 1601. The site of the village is a State Historical Site, and an active archaeological dig, but Spanish relics could (and have been found) be in the surrounding areas, which are all privately-owned farmland.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions