What's new

Ceramic Bracelet?

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Hopefully be updating the Hoard post in the next few days - ground thawing nicely.
Yesterday recovered these 2 small red ceramic fragments from the same level as the Roman Greyware and more Barbarous Radiates.
Any of you Roman Pottery experts recognise the design or shape? It looks like a rim or bottom of a pot but there's no broken edges suggesting a pot. Cross-section is more or less triangular definite curve perhaps part of an oval shape. Could it be a bracelet? Not practical as a handle.
Here are the pics - speak soon and best wishes.

Pretty-Red-Clay-and-coin.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-6.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-5.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-4.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-3.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-2.webp

Pretty-Red-Clay-1.webp
 
Looks like a pot rim, but not seen that impressed design before, seen similar.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Looks like a pot rim, but not seen that impressed design before, seen similar.
Yep, looks like a pot rim but there is no visible broken edge for the sides of the pot - could they have made decorative rims separately to the main pot which where then attached later?
Have you seen any ceramic bracelets like this?
 
Upvote 0
David, did you miss the coin in your excitement in finding the Ceramic pottery shards? :icon_thumright:
HH
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • Pretty-Red-Clay-and-coin.webp
    Pretty-Red-Clay-and-coin.webp
    63.9 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
Broken knee said:
David, did you miss the coin in your excitement in finding the Ceramic pottery shards? :icon_thumright:
HH
Broken Knee
No, that one (and several hundred more) were all seen and collected - I'll tell you more in the 'Update' when I've sorted photos out - now then, what about that piece of pottery :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
if you can find more of those pieces you may be able to put it together to conclude what it is.. i will not speculate.. because you never know lmao congrats on the finds :headbang: HH
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
Broken knee said:
David, did you miss the coin in your excitement in finding the Ceramic pottery shards? :icon_thumright:
HH
Broken Knee
No, that one (and several hundred more) were all seen and collected - I'll tell you more in the 'Update' when I've sorted photos out - now then, what about that piece of pottery :icon_scratch:
Well if you found it on this side of the pond I'd say Indian origin but I agree with Cru. early pot rim and ground action explains the smooth edges. Now while your out there please find a James the first half angel to go with my coin weight. ::) HH
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
I'm not biting the bracelet idea...with the edge not being smooth. Looks more rim.
If you ever want to come to Florida for a MD beach/vacation let me know...I would sure love to hunt over in your area in return.

Maybe more of a lid to some kind of container...that held those coins??? the bulk of the container may still be buried since you stated ground is just now thawing...just a thought but I think more ceramic lies underneath.

Please post more pics when you can...
Offer was genuine.

Trez
 

Attachments

  • Pretty-Red-Clay-4.webp
    Pretty-Red-Clay-4.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
Trez said:
I'm not biting the bracelet idea...with the edge not being smooth. Looks more rim.
If you ever want to come to Florida for a MD beach/vacation let me know...I would sure love to hunt over in your area in return.

Trez
Yep, I saw that bit of edge too - very, very fine/thin though considering the size of the 'rim'. the sides would be so weak being egg-shell thin!
Florida sounds nice - I'll get my bag packed! :D
 
Upvote 0
OK, this one has me thinking. First... what would the approximate diameter be of this piece be, based on the piece or pieces of it that you have unearthed? Second, Since it is decorated I am going to assume that it had meaning attached to it. At first I was thinking perhaps it was an early attempt at a pyrometric cone... but I'll pass on that one. HH M.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom