What's new

Ceramic sculpture

detectorFRED

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter 3300, Dousing Rods, Automatic Writing, The Outsiders (UCAs)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What could this be? I found this piece in Pennsylvania last summer. It was found entangled in the roots of a Lg. White ash tree that had blown over during a storm. The piece is 8"x5"x3" (L×HxW). The piece has a density of 2.21g/cm3. The object appears yellowish in color on the bottom and greenish on top. Has anyone ever see something like this?

1220141105.webp
1220141108.webp
1220141109c.webp
1220141116-1.webp
 

Attachments

  • 1220141109c.webp
    1220141109c.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just a geofact, keep on looking youll find some stuff.
 
Like pickaway said just a geofact, better luck next time.
 
hello FRED,what do you see in it,carve on it and bring it out to show others so they would have no doubt as to what it is.the Indians were very good at it.
 
But that does not explain the low density
 
could it be a type of shale?looks kinda porous.
 
Its limestone I find it in all crazy shapes in the creeks.
 
Do you have pictures of any of the limestone that you have found?
 
Do you have pictures of any of the limestone that you have found?

No I toss them. I have enough rocks already but I like the worked ones. Did you find it near a creek or river flow? I know you said tree roots but it could of been on a bank. I see plenty of fallen down trees on the creek banks.
 
ele.webp

If there was another piece and you set them side by side you would have this image. The cloudy outlines are from a pic effect found in MW.
 
Hi Fred- There's a lot of low-density rock in PA. Shale, for instance. You never know, but certain stone has fossils- most are low density rocks. You might give it a whack and see what's inside?? Depending on where you found it, it could be Devonian age sandstone, silt-stone, shale... You could do a simple test to see what kind of rock it is- scratch, acid, etc. Beyond that, no, not ceramic, not sculpture either. Sorry. Yakker
 
Thanks yakker, I have a similar piece that I will perform a few tests on. I am going to examine its particle/agglomerate size as well as the materials incipient incipient wetness point in comparison to native low-density rocks. I have a few other things I can do to it as well like acid tests etc. Thanks for the help!
 
limestone reacts with vinegar...bubbles a bit...quick test.
 
Cool piece!
 
How come NATURE seems to be the Artist of all of really good pieces?0202152211a.webp
 
The most ancient name known is recorded by Theophrastus in about 300-325 BCE, κρύσταλλος or kristallos.
 
gilgamesh and a bunch of others predate that by 3000 or so years....what are you trying to say that i don't understand?
 
Mother Nature is the greatest artist and people realized it long ago
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom