What's new

CEREMONIAL Face Pot? Not Sure, Need Your Help

Wheels

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
42
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I was told that this was a CEREMONIAL Face Pot. I'm Not Sure, Do you know? Can you tell me where it came from, and how old it might be? The size is 6 inches High, by 6 inches in Diameter. It also had 3 little legs to keep it standing up-right. It is made from a type of clay, I'm not sure if it's a black clay or if it is the type of glaze finish that's on it to make it look black. O.K. here is the big question, what do you think it's worth?

Thanks for all Your Help
 

Attachments

  • face1.webp
    face1.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 340
  • face2.webp
    face2.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 342
  • face3.webp
    face3.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 344
  • face4.webp
    face4.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 342
Ceremonial is usually a tag applied when you don't have a clue what the daily use was, or don't know if it was made yesterday a millenia ago. Hard to guess much about it without knowing the cultural context it came from. It's nice; hang onto it cause somebody will come along and ID it.
 
Upvote 0
Well it's a pot and has a face and that's for sure! But otherwise??? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Last year someone posted a pot very similar to this one. I'll try to find the post. Interesting find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Looks to be S.American. Possibly Mayan or Toltec.
I would post it in the Indian artifact section on t-net and look for a guy named Joushuareams he is an expert in South American pottery and may be able to give you an opinion or point you in the right direction if it is real. I would not go in there asking a value first just what culture is it . :icon_sunny:
Good luck
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom