Charles I shilling up today

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Not an expert with coins but I know it's a Charles I shilling.
It's been heavily clipped which has removed the mintmark. Not sure if it can be dated in this condition.
Still happy with this as I've been on a hammered coi drought lately. Found in Lancashire England on pasture close to an old Roman fort and Vicus. Very close to the surface, near to a hedgerow and no deeper than 3 or 4 inches giving a banging unmissable signal.
Farmer said place has been done to death too.

Attachments

• Charlie1-2.jpg
    Charlie1-2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 51
  • Charlie1.jpg
    Charlie1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
A great find - congrats !
Where are you located ?
I detect around Lancashire in the Ribble and Hodder valley's. In England s north west which is bang in the centre of the island on the map.
its mostly pasture the land here never being fertile and weather not good enough to grow crops.
I've been fortunate enough now to have found quite a few Charles I coins including a half crown. This coin is I think pre English civil war but during that conflict Lancashire saw more than its fair share of fighting. The Battle of Preston in 1649 being the most decisive battle in which the Kings last hopes faded.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect around Lancashire in the Ribble and Hodder valley's. In England s north west which is bang in the centre of the island on the map.
its mostly pasture the land here never being fertile and weather not good enough to grow crops.
I've been fortunate enough now to have found quite a few Charles I coins including a half crown. This coin is I think pre English civil war but during that conflict Lancashire saw more than its fair share of fighting. The Battle of Preston in 1649 being the most decisive battle in which the Kings last hopes faded.
Looking at it, it was most likely lost in the early to mid 1700s. Hammered coins stayed in circulation for a very long time after we had Milled coinage.
No matter when it was lost its a hard denomination to find & the half crown you mention even harder, so a great find.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Looking at it, it was most likely lost in the early to mid 1700s. Hammered coins stayed in circulation for a very long time after we had Milled coinage.
No matter when it was lost its a hard denomination to find & the half crown you mention even harder, so a great find.
Yes of all my hammered coins I reckon only one was dropped close to the time it was minted. The rest are worn and clipped.
My old man who was born in the 40's says before they changed the coinage in the late 60's it would not be uncommon to find a Victorian penny in amongst your change. A coin circulating for over half a century.
Here's that half crown I pulled up a year and a bit ago. Now this signal nearly blew my ears out. Assumed it was going to be a beer can

Attachments

• 20221024_121701.jpg
    20221024_121701.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221024_121636.jpg
    20221024_121636.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Nice, had a couple but not as good looking as that one.
Yes I was chuffed with that one. In fact it was a hat trick that day as there where 2 other shillings in the area too. I do pretty well with Charles I hammered's, second only to Elizabeth I.
Not so great onnthe earlier medieval coins though I've had a few but not nearly enough as I'd like, they are elusive in this neck of the woods. Found a cracking Charles II half crown but i gave that up to landowner for some good karma and to keep in his good books.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an expert with coins but I know it's a Charles I shilling.
It's been heavily clipped which has removed the mintmark. Not sure if it can be dated in this condition.
Still happy with this as I've been on a hammered coi drought lately. Found in Lancashire England on pasture close to an old Roman fort and Vicus. Very close to the surface, near to a hedgerow and no deeper than 3 or 4 inches giving a banging unmissable signal.
Farmer said place has been done to death too.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread